Chapter 49: Sign of the Four V (Forefront)

Magsimula sa umpisa

Smiling, Rosetta nodded at me as she settled down on the couch. Sabay naman kaming umupo ni Loki sa isa pang couch. I closed my laptop and put it aside on the table. Only Luthor remained standing. Lumapit siya sa spider's web of conspiracy at sinundan ng kanyang mga daliri ang isang pulang strand. His stare lingered at the sticky note that had Jaime Santiago's name written on it. Among the known associates of Moriarty, only his photo was not included there.

Ramdam kong magiging seryoso ang usapan namin ngayong gabi. Well, they wouldn't come all the way here for a social visit. Kung mangungumusta at magtsi-chika-han lang, pwede namang mag-video call kami. There must have something important to tell us.

"You have made progress on your own, I take it?" Luthor clasped his hands behind his back and looked at us over his shoulder. "The last time I went here, this sticky note wasn't at the center of the web."

"Thanks to Maggie," I said. Nakaramdam ako ng kirot sa aking puso. Muntik ko na ring hindi mabanggit ang kanyang pangalan. "She left us with audio clips that led me to a conclusion that matched with and supported your revelation."

Luthor turned the back of his head to us as he kept a stare at the web. Sandali siyang natahimik habang nakatitig doon. I took his minute-long silence as a moment of respect for his late friend—if he ever considered her as such.

We haven't addressed Maggie's death since the day of the accident. I wanted to ask him how he's coping with the loss or if he's coping at all. Luthor and Loki share the same qualities of being extremely cold. But like ice, they can also melt. Nakita ko na kung paano matunaw ang puso ni Loki na kasing-lamig ng yelo at kasing-tigas ng bato. Gano'n din kaya si Luthor?

"Audio clips, huh?" he muttered, still turning away from us.

"Meron siyang in-interview na iilang estudyante tuwing break time niya," sagot ko sabay tingin sa sahig. Tila bumigat ang dibdib ko. Ang sakit pa ring alalahanin at lunukin ang katotohanang wala na siya. "Her last efforts were not in vain. Dahil sa kanya, alam na namin kung bakit nabanggit ni Rhea noon na sinusubukang maging Samaritan ni Moriarty."

He did not reply to me. Nagpatuloy siya sa pagtitig sa mga litrato sa malawak na web.

Nagawi ang aking tingin kay Loki. His eyes also looked away and his fists clenched slowly. Malamang sariwa pa ang sugat sa kanyang puso. Isang banggit lang sa pangalan ni Maggie o ni Rhea, nakaramdam na agad siya ng pagkirot.

Maybe it's best not to mention their names casually in the presence of the Mendez brothers.

Ilang sandali ring natahimik sa aming sala. Parang nag-alay kami ng panalangin sa mga namayapa.

"Can you please take a seat?" Loki broke the silence. He raised his head and turned to his brother. "You might give the three of us a stiff neck if we keep talking to you this way."

Walang reklamong umupo sa couch si Luthor, sa tabi ni Rosetta. Compared to the last time he paid us a visit to drop some bombshells, mas kalmado na ang atmosphere ngayon. So much has happened since that day. Loki has already calmed down. Luthor has, well, recovered from his self-poisoning.

"We've been waiting outside your apartment since two hours ago," Luthor said, crossing his legs and putting his hands on his lap.

"For two hours, you forgot how to climb the stairs and knock on our door?" Loki asked. Nag-soften man ang kanyang hostile attitude sa kuya niya, hindi pa rin maaalis sa kanya ang pagbuwelta rito. In a much controlled tone this time.

"We had to check if someone's secretly following you or watching over your unit," his brother replied, looking behind at the windows. "Given the current situation, I will not be surprised in the slightest if Stein sends someone to surveil your premises."