Chapter 47: Dead Men Tell No Tales I (Grave Visit)

A/N: And I'm back again! Expect a wave of updates this week! I'm gonna call this the "November rush"!

LORELEI

TODAY WAS a sad day. There's no better word to describe it. The sky was gray. A sea of mourners wore black as everyone donned their mourning dress. Silence. I could hear nothing but silence... and chirping of the birds, which was only interrupted by occasional sobs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the heavens mourn with us at this hour. After all, we lost a great student leader.

Days after her untimely death, Margarette Fernandez, the late chairwoman of the Clark High's student executive committee, was being laid to rest in Pax et Lumen Memorial Park. This is the second time that I visited this place. How I wished it wasn't under these somber circumstances. Noong una akong pumunta rito, sinamahan ko si Loki para bisitahin ang puntod ni Rhea. I saw with my own eyes how much he really cared about her.

I honestly did not think I'd be coming back here, not to pay respect to someone's grave, but to attend someone's burial. I hope I did not have to. I hope this would be the last time.

But alas, here we are. A melancholic feeling crept inside of me. Maggie and I may not be that close, but her passing shattered my heart into pieces. You wouldn't know someone's impact to your life until you lose them. Everyone must be sharing that heart-wrenching grief.

May guilt pa rin akong nararamdaman sa sarili ko. Hindi ko maiwasang isipin na hindi hahantong sa ganito ang sitwasyon kung hindi dahil sa aming dalawa ni Loki. Maybe if we didn't give Maggie the chase, she wouldn't have crossed the pedestrian. Maybe she wouldn't have been hit by a fast-moving car. Maybe she would still be alive today. Maybe we wouldn't be here. Maybe—

So many maybe's. But we have to accept the bitter reality. Maggie is dead. We wouldn't be seeing her again, especially her smiles. We wouldn't be hearing her bickering with Loki or any of us.

There surely could have been another way that this story ended. But we had to deal with the most tragic one. And it wouldn't be that easy.

Jamie locked arms with me as we listened intently to the priest leading the prayer. I wiped my nose with my hanky, pushing back the sunglasses that I wore to hide my eyes wet with tears. Alistair asked me if I was okay, to which I responded, "Yes." I could still manage myself. Medyo emosyonal lang ako sa mga sandaling 'to.

Kaming tatlo lang ang dumalo. Loki didn't attend the ceremony. He still locked himself in his bedroom. May times na hindi na siya kumakain, kahit ilang beses siyang kausapin ni Tita Frigette. He's taking Maggie's loss too seriously. I didn't think it would come to this point.

But I somehow understand him. Maggie is Rhea's best friend. She reminded him of her. Now that she's gone, another fragment of Loki's precious memory disappeared. He's losing the people that he deeply cared about. For someone like him, it must have been so devastating.