Chapter 36: From the Ashes III

LORELEI

LORELEI

AND NOW, our investigation begins.

Iniwan muna kami ng fire marshal habang nangangalap kami ng ebidensyang magpapatunay sa aming akusasyon laban sa suspected murderer at arsonist.

There's an air of confidence around Bruno who was suspected of killing his live-in partner and burning her by starting up a fire in the apartment. Nakakainis ang ngisi sa mukha niya. If we could only use a smirk as an admission of guilt, he would be on his way to the police station right now.

"I trust na meron kang nahanap na ebidensya laban sa kaniya?" bulong ko kay Loki matapos niyang makipag-staring contest sa salarin.

"Well, none," he answered, turning around.

My face made a curious expression. "Teka, teka! You accused that man of murdering his partner and starting a fire without any proof?"

"I wanted to ruffle his feathers and observe his reaction," sagot niya sabay tingin kay Bruno. "He didn't expect anyone to see through his tricks, thus we caught him off guard. Based on his facial expression, the movement of his lips, the defensive stance he took, he is guilty of both crimes."

"Dapat kasi naghanap muna tayo ng ebidensya bago mo siya harap-harapang tinanong kung pinatay niya ang kaniyang kasama."

"My dear Lorelei, when was I ever wrong?" he asked in a matter-of-fact tone. He didn't seem to be amused by my doubt on his deductions.

"I can think of three instances," I answered, raising three of my fingers. "First, during the jumper case in school where you said it's a murder not a suicide. Second, when you thought Sir Jim Morayta was Moriarty all along. And third, when you thought that your brother Luthor is—"

Napatakip ako ng bibig bago pa dumulas sa dila ko ang mga susunod kong sasabihin. I was about to tell him that Luthor is the big bad he's been chasing all these years.

Loki's eyes narrowed into slits. "What about my brother? Where did I go wrong about him?"

Napalunok ako ng laway. Can I edit out that part where I mentioned his brother? Or can I time travel back to ten seconds ago?

His dull but questioning stare was pressuring me. Think, Lorelei! Think!

"You have always described your brother like an evil incarnate. You were wrong about that. He's actually a good guy."

Ugh. Those words got almost stuck in my throat. I can't believe that I've lied for him in front of his little brother! If Loki finds out the truth and he learns that I kept it from him, hindi ko alam kung anong magiging reaksyon niya.

His questioning gaze turned into a reassured one. "I was right all along."

Right about what?

"I hope that your romantic feelings for my brother didn't have any influence on your perception of him," Loki said. "Always leave some room for doubt, Lorelei. He's probably the best manipulator that this city has ever seen."