Chapter 44: Dead Man's Switch I (The Dead Man)

A/N: This is the start of a new story arc! Expect more chapters in the second wave of updates this June!

LORELEI

"Loki! Al!"

I NEVER thought that this day would come. We only wanted to retrieve the device that contains blackmailing materials left by Augustus. Hindi ko in-expect na aabot sa punto kung saan dadanak ang dugo. We thought all the time that our mission would end peacefully, with no one getting harmed.

Unfortunately, some things don't go exactly as planned. Augustus' layout was the perfect example. He thought everything was proceeding exactly as he had foreseen. But he was wrong.

Someone was murdered. Loki and Alistair stood before the corpse.

"My God!" Jamie gasped as soon as she saw a dead man on the floor. Her widened eyes quickly looked away as she turned her back to the corpse. Her retentive memory might have saved a snapshot of the grisly scene that could haunt her in her sleep. I felt lucky na wala akong gano'ng ability.

Maging ako'y sandaling napabalikwas ang tingin. That's probably one of the messiest scenes that my eyes have laid on. But I took the courage to look at the dead man. He was shot in the chin. His grey matter scattered on the floor. A pool of blood formed near his head. Mabilis akong tumingin sa ibang direksyon at napatakip ng bibig. Halos masuka ako sa aking nakita.

Loki knelt beside the corpse and fixed the way that the dead man was holding a gun. Suot niya ang pares ng latex gloves na laging dala-dala niya. Maayos niyang inilagay ang daliri nito sa gatilyo ng baril.

Why on earth did this happen?

"Don't worry," Loki muttered, still staring at the corpse. He's been used to crime scenes that he could look at a dead body for minutes. Ang tibay ng sikmura niya. I could only gaze at it for a few seconds. "The police will look at this case as a suicide. They won't see it as a homicide."

"But what if—just a what if—they consider the homicide angle?" tanong ni Alistair. He looked really worried. "Won't they trace this case back to us?"

"As long as we don't leave any DNA evidence, they can't pin this crime on us," kumpiyansang sagot ni Loki. May ipinakita siyang nakatuping papel sa amin. "This is a suicide note. Once the police find it, they will quickly jump to a conclusion that the man committed suicide. That's how dumb most of them are. They won't think for a second that we killed him."

My hands began shaking uncontrollably. Sinubukan kong pigilan ang panginginig ng mga 'to. I clasped my hands together and tightened my grip. Ilang beses din akong huminga nang malalim para pakalmahin ang sarili ko.

Things weren't supposed to go down this bloody route.

"S-So what are we gonna do next?" tanong ko. Nagpalipat-lipat ng tingin ang mga mata ko sa tatlo kong kasama. Jamie only shrugged her shoulders as she was clasping herself while Loki and Alistair exchanged glances.