Chapter 40: The Sleeper Agent II (Contradiction)

LORELEI

LORELEI

"YOU ARE right, Lorelei. I am Moriarty."

My heart shattered into hundreds of pieces. I already knew for weeks that he was the person we have been chasing all along. But hearing the admission from the man himself wounded me deeply.

Why, Luthor? Bakit mo nagawa ang lahat nito?

I don't know what to feel. Should I be enraged that he managed to deceive us into thinking that he's one of us? Or should I be relieved that finally we were getting to the bottom of this case?

What would Loki react if he found out the truth? Manggagalaiti ba siya sa galit kapag nalaman niyang ang kuya niya ang taong nagpapatay sa kaibigan niya? Would he curse him to the moon and back?

Nagkatitigan lamang kami ni Luthor ng ilang segundo. Those seconds felt like minutes. Mahigpit pa rin ang hawak ko sa stick na nakatutok sa kanyang lalamunan. Ngayong alam ko na ang katotohanan, I couldn't let my guard down.

"Yes, I am Moriarty," Luthor repeated, his eyes staring at the sharp end of my stick. Those cold eyes... "Are those the words you want to hear from me? Is that the so-called truth you have been longing to escape my lips?"

What?

His right hand gripped on the stick tightly until it was broken into two. Sinubukan niyang iangat ang kanyang katawan mula sa pagkakahiga kaya napilitan akong tumayo at humakbang palayo sa kanya. No matter how short my stick was, I still pointed it at him.

Luthor dusted his clothes off and fixed the collar of his polo shirt. "I told you earlier that you have misinterpreted my actions. And I was right."

Teka, what the hell was going on here? A few moments ago, he confessed that he's Moriarty. A moment later, he was telling me that I got everything wrong. What trick was he trying to pull on me?

"You said that you are Moriarty!" My voice was trembling in fear and shock. I took a step back when he started walking toward me. "Kahit ano pang palusot ang sabihin mo, hindi na ako basta-basta maniniwala sa 'yo."

"If I were person you think I am, do you honestly believe that I would just blatantly reveal my secret to you?" Luthor put his hands behind him, his towering figure casting a shadow over me. "Did you think that threatening me with a stick would make me talk?"

Was he trying to get away with what he has just admitted?

"YOU ARE MORIARTY!" I jabbed the stick in front of me, stopping him from further advancing. "I heard your voice when you were chatting with Cedric at the abandoned building! I saw your face when you checked on me and Jamie in that dilapidated room! Gising na gising ako noon, imposibleng nagkamali ako ng narinig at nakita!"

I was a fool to put myself in such a precarious situation. I was at an advantageous position when I held him down earlier. Dapat pala'y hindi ako umalis mula sa pagkakapatong sa kanya. He could attack me anytime and try to silence me.