Birthday

Chapter contains disturbing content.  Please read at your discretion.

*****

Vincent:

After enduring another long night of restless sleep, I was awakened by the sound of my morning nurse humming a chipper tune as she opened my curtains to brighten the room.  "Good morning," She sang when she noticed me stretching my arms.

I didn't respond.

"Cheer up, Vincent.  It's a very special day."

"Why?  Did Beverly die in a car accident?"

I could see the shock in her eyes, but she maintained her smile.  "No, silly.  It's your birthday."

"There's nothing special about my birthday."

For as long as I could remember, my birthdays were a disaster.  My experiences ranged from severe beatings from my father, to being overshadowed by my twin sister.  She often got expensive gifts, while I was given nothing but small cakes from my mother.

"Oh, don't say that."  She fluffed my pillow and tapped my nose with her finger, like I was some child that needed a pep talk.  "You're a special young man, and I want you to have a special day."

"Would you kindly shut up and leave me alone?"

"But-"

"And if you say 'special' one more time, I'm going to give you a very special black eye.  Understand?"

The smile dissolved from her face. "Vincent, do you realize I could have you thrown into solitary for threatening me? Don't make me tell Doctor Greer."

"Do whatever you want, bitch."

Her eyes filled with tears, and she walked out of my room without saying another word. Sure, maybe I was acting like a dick for no reason, but I was so frustrated with this damn place. I turned on my TV and watched a game show until Earl came in to take me to the cafeteria.  The look on his face told me he had already gotten word of how badly I treated my nurse.  "Graves," He sighed, mashing his palm to his tired face, "Why do you do this shit to yourself? You know Greer is going to find out."

"I don't care.  Maybe the prick will finally kill me."

"Is that what you really want?"

"I hate it here, Earl."

"I understand that, but you're only making things worse for yourself. Just follow orders. Keep quiet, and take your meds. That's all you need to do."

"Screw that."

"That's your problem, Graves.  You make a habit of shitting on people who want to help you."

"What do you know? You're just an orderly."

"All right," He said, shaking his head. "If that's how you really feel, don't expect me to protect your ungrateful ass from Greer and his sister."

"I don't need your protection."

"Suit yourself."