Archer

Vanessa Archer was munching on a bag of scorched popcorn at her desk when her captain ran out of his office like his pants were on fire. His eyes darted around the police station. He became distressed when he realized most of his officers were out on minor calls. Running his hand over his balding head, he looked over at his brand new officer.

"Archer, I have an assignment for you."

"Does it require me sitting behind this desk?"

"Haha....very funny." His voice was flatter than his chiseled stomach. "I've only made you sit behind that desk because you're fresh out of the academy, Archer.  It's nothing personal."

She tossed her popcorn into the metal trash can and stood, nudging his ribs. "Who else would do all of this fascinating paperwork if not for me?"

"No one can do it like you."

"What's the assignment?"

"It's a big one. Seems a patient has escaped from the mental institution downtown with three hostages.  I want you to take a look at the security footage and question the employees, see if they have any idea where he may have gone."

"You want me to do it alone?" The thought send a rush of excitement through her.

"This part, yes. Once we set after the patient, I'll assign you a partner."

"Sweet! I can deal with that."

His smiled at her enthusiasm. "Get moving, you crazy kid. Have fun. Bring me back a good report."

"Yes, sir!"

Vanessa flew through town in her patrol car, sirens blaring and lights flashing, running several red lights in the process. She reached the hospital in five minutes. When she stepped into the doors, the receptionist immediately escorted her to the top floor, where she would speak with three of the board members. All men, all serious to a fault.

One of them narrowed his eyes at her behind his thick, black glasses. "Pardon me for asking you this, Officer, but how old are you?"

"Nineteen." Vanessa answered proudly. She joined the police academy one week after she graduated from high school. Her performances on her exams and on the field earned her an early graduation from the prestigious academy, and she was hired by the police station in a month.

"Aren't you a little young?"

"Age has nothing to do with it. I'm a damn good police officer, and I'm here to solve this case."

"Very well," Another board member said, "Show her the surveillance footage."

The oldest of the board members, a fat man with a white mustache and a coffee stain on his silk white shirt, pulled up the footage.  Vanessa watched it with a fist balled under her chin, like a child watching an interesting cartoon.  She remained stoic as she watched the patient, a handsome young man by the looks of it, dragging a girl through the garage.

Something seemed off.  The girl wasn't struggling or trying to scream.  He did have a scalpel held to her neck, but it was strange she didn't try to fight.

Maybe she was frightened.

Or maybe they were putting on an act.

"What's the nurse's name?"  She asked.

"Stella Bennett," answered one of the men.  "She is one of our newest."

She looked back at the screen as the patient loaded his doctor into his trunk. She chewed on her fingernail as another hostage, apparently the doctor's sister, was beaten and loaded up as well.