Broken

White walls that were painted with carnations, blue birds, and a bright sun concealed the horror that lied in the small room. A single table was set with a plastic pitcher of lemonade-Stella's favorite beverage. Her eyes fluttered open and landed on the standing mirror in the center of the room. The reflection staring back at her was not that of a twenty two year old, but a six year old.

The room was all too familiar. The first time she visited was on the night her Uncle Colin babysat her while her parents were away. He hadn't touched her inappropriately, but he made it a point to ask her how many boys she had kissed in school. It made her uncomfortable. She wanted to be away from his leering eyes, his wicked smile.

Stella saw another reflection beside her.  A little girl of the same age, blonde curls held together by two blue bows that matched her dress.  Her legs were covered by white stockings.  She smiled.

"Matilda," Stella said, shifting on her leg.  "You hurt that bad man and woman.  We're going to get into trouble.  You shouldn't have done it."

"That's exactly why you need me, Stella. You're too scared to hurt the people who hurt you."

"I'm not scared. I just don't want to hurt people, even if they do hurt me. It's wrong."

"That's why you will always be a damsel in distress. Men will keep hurting you, keep taking advantage of you. Don't you get that?"

Stella sank down to the floor, burying her head between her knees. "Leave me alone, Matilda."

"No. I'm not done helping you yet."

"You've already killed the doctor.  What else needs to be done in your evil mind?"

"Hmph, what a way to talk to your best friend."

"I'm sorry," Stella sighed, "I just want all of my sadness to come to an end."

"And it will!  That's what I want to help you with."

Stella shrugged her bony shoulders, conceding to her imaginary friend.  "What do I need to do?"

"You must help Vincent reunite with his girl."

"What?  Why??"

"Helping him will take your mind off of the ones who hurt you.  Besides, he helped you when you were in trouble.  It's only fair to help him."

"But he kidnapped her, Matilda.  He hurt her."

"Yes, and he'll probably do it again."

"I want no part in a kidnapping."

"Don't be ridiculous.  You already kidnapped two people.  What's another one?"

"But-"

"Don't question me, Stella!!"  The little girl's eyes turned black.  Her sharp nails dug into her own flesh, drawing blood from her hands.  "I've never steered you wrong, have I!?"

"N-no.  I'm sorry, Matilda."

"Don't apologize.  Just do as I say."