Scorned

Emily:

There was nothing worse for a parent than feeling like you couldn't protect your child. The shame and helplessness that accompanied the feeling made me want to crawl into a hole and die. But I knew I could not allow myself to fall into the trap of self pity, not when there was so much to be done.  I climbed out of my bed after James was snoring like an asthmatic grizzly bear and made my way up to our attic.

Switching on the dim light, I walked straight to my gun safe and pulled out my Glock hand gun, a gift my father had given me a few years ago.  There was no negotiating with Vincent.  I would rather die than trade my daughter, but I wasn't going to let him kill my best friend.  She was the only one who'd seen right through his bull shit from day one.

I had to handle this my way.  Even if I spent the rest of my life behind bars for killing that son of a bitch, I would rest easy knowing my family was safe.

I changed into the clothes I'd packed up here earlier in the day and holstered the loaded pistol to my side, then I walked back downstairs and opened the door to Cora's bedroom.  She looked like an angel lying in her bed, snoring softly with a grin on her lips.

"This is for you, baby."  I whispered before closing the door and wiping a tear from my cheek.

Our home was so quiet.

Closing my eyes, I savored a few more minutes of tranquility. This was the calm before the storm-the reckoning that should have taken place long ago.

No longer was I going to tolerate living in fear at the idea of him showing up at our doorstep. The bad dreams, the sleepless nights, the mental scars he'd left inside of me-Vincent would pay for them all.

I walked out of the front door with nothing but the will of a woman scorned.  If I dwelled on leaving my family, I wouldn't be able to do what needed to be done.  There was no room for weakness.

My footsteps faltered for a moment when I thought I heard a sound from the darkness.  "Hmph," I shook my head and continued towards my car.  It wasn't until I saw a figure emerge that I became paralyzed for a moment.  Then I drew my pistol and pointed it at the stranger.  "Stop!  Show yourself."

"Emily," The voice was calm, "It's me."

Martin stepped out of the shadows.

I immediately holstered my gun. "Oh, God. I'm so sorry, Martin. I didn't know you were here."

"Where are you going this time of night?"

"I just wanted to take a ride to clear my head."

"With your gun?"

"Can't be too careful."

"You sure were quick to draw it."

"Martin, I'm sorry."

Martin stepped closer to me.  "Where are you really going, Emily?  You can tell me."

"I'm telling the truth."

"I'm a police officer, you know.  Part of our training is to be able to spot a lie when we hear it."

"I don't have to explain myself.  It's not like under house arrest."  It was strange hearing myself being so defensive, especially towards one of our best friends, but I was in no mood to be interrogated.

I started towards my car again.  "I'll be back later."

Martin caught hold of my arm.  "You're making a mistake, Emily.  You can't go after him."

"Why shouldn't I!?"

Damn it.  Why did I blurt that out?

"Because he's dangerous."

"I don't give a shit.  I have to stop him."

"By killing him?  That would be premeditated murder.  You'd spend the rest of your life in-"

"Prison.  Yes, I know."

"You can't do that to Cora."

I opened my mouth to retort.

He rose his hand.  "Even worse than that would be getting yourself kidnapped or killed.  That would destroy James and Cora.  You know that, Emily!"

His voice trembled with the last words. He ran his hand over mustache and said, "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. I just don't want you to get hurt."

"I can take care of myself. I wouldn't attempt it if I thought he would kidnap me again."

"You can't take the risk."

"I have to. It's the only way I'll be free of him."

"Emily, I can't let you go. Please go back into the house, or I'll be forced to take you inside myself."

"You're asking me to let him keep tormenting me."

"No, I'm asking you to-" The cellphone buzzing in his pocket stopped his words.  He offered me a warm smile before answering it.  "Johnson."

He listened.

"Are you certain?"

He listened again.

"That's great news, Frost.  I'm here with Emily right now.  I'll tell her."  He ended the call and looked at me with a beaming smile.  "That was Amy.  She just received word that Hope has been found safe."

My eyes closed as my mind processed the news.

"She's in the hospital."

"May I go see her?"

"I'm afraid not. She's in the emergency room. Amy doesn't know when she'll be ready for visitors. She was hurt when she was found."

"No...oh, God."

"She's alive, Emily. She escaped the bastard."

"But at what cost?"

****

It wasn't until the next day that I was able to visit her. Martin had to pull a few strings to get me in there, and I was so grateful. He lead me into her room with his arm draped around my shoulders.

My feet nearly froze when I saw her lying in the bed.

Her face had been beaten to a pulp.

There was a massive amount of gauze wrapped around one of her hands. She looked like she had been through absolute hell.

"Emily." She choked, forcing herself to smile.

"Shhh, you don't have to talk."

"I wasn't expecting to see you so soon."

"Hope.....are you okay?"

What a stupid question.

Of course she wasn't.

But she would never admit it.

She laughed weakly. "I've been better."

"I'll leave you two alone." Martin said.

"Wait," Hope held up her good hand, "Have they sent anyone after Vincent?"

"Yes ma'am. We have every man available out there looking for him. We'll find him."

"You...you must find him soon." Hope said, "He's going to come after them."

"We won't let that happen."

"You can't stop him.  No one can."