The Cabin (Part One)

Vincent:

My chest felt like it was going to explode from the thrill of being out of the hospital.  For the first time in seven years, I was able to see the night sky.  I had the window rolled down as Stella drove down the highway, relishing the sensation of the cold night air blowing on my face.  I never thought I would see the outside world again.  I once took so many things for granted; like the smell of wet grass, the city lights, and even the heavy traffic.

Stella didn't say much, which was fine. I needed time to process what was happening.  Things were more complicated than I would like.  I should've left Dr. Greer for dead instead of bringing him with us, but I was so hell bent on getting revenge that I wasn't using my head. The disappearances of a prominent doctor and nurse would no doubt be at the top of the police station's case load.

How long would it take for them to send a couple of officers to Stella's cabin? Would we even have time to take a breath before they swarmed us?

My breathing suddenly became more burdensome. 

I stuck my head further out the window, hoping the fresh air would soothe my nerves.  This was going to be a disaster.  The cops would find me and take me back to the hospital.  Dr. Greer would treat me ten times worse than before.  Oh, dear God.

The air I breathed in stabbed my lungs like a sharp knife.  I began to hyperventilate. 

Stella looked over at me, speaking for the first time since we pulled out of the garage.  "Woah, what's wrong, Vincent?  Are you having a panic attack?"

"No," I choked, holding my chest, "I'm fine."

She shook her head and swerved into the parking lot of a gross looking gas station.  The sudden motion only made my breathing worse.  "Vincent," Her voice was calm, but I could see the frustration in her eyes.  "You need to calm down right now."

"I'm sorry. It's just....the gravity of our situation hit me harder than I thought it would."

"This was your idea."

"Yeah, but," I turned around and looked at Beverly, who was sprawled out on the backseat. "I didn't think things were going to get so out of hand."

"Do you want me to turn back?"

"What?"

"If you're not man enough to follow through on what you started, I'll turn the damn car around.  I'll tell them I talked you into going back."

"Come on, Stella.  I didn't mean-"

"ARE YOU GOING TO DO THIS OR NOT!?"

The outburst shocked me into silence.

What in the world had gotten into her?

Her whole livelihood was on the line. It wasn't fair of me to put my doubts on her, considering the only reason she was even doing this was because of me.

I would worry about the police later. For now, I had to keep a clear head and focus on my next move.

"I'm sorry, Stella," I said softly, putting my hand on top of hers. "I'm not losing my nerve, I swear."

She blinked her eyes and tilted her head, looking at me like she had no idea what I was talking about.

"Stella, are you okay?"

"Of course," She said, smiling. "My head kind of became cloudy for a moment. I'm a bit tired."

"Oh," My heart beat slowed a little. "Well, should we grab some supplies before we head out to the cabin?"