The Act

Stella followed the doctor into his office with her arms folded over her chest.  She wanted to turn him in to the hospital board for what he had done, but she figured she would listen to his side of the story before potentially jeopardizing her career.

"Please," He said, gesturing towards his sofa.  "Have a seat while I fix us a couple of drinks."

"We're on duty."

"I only have soda and water, remember?"

"All right, but please make this brief.  I have other patients to medicate before my shift is done."

The doctor grinned from ear to ear as he poured her a glass of root beer. "Are you always this serious?"

"When it comes to my patients, yes."

He turned his back to her as he added ice cubes to her drink. "You're too young to be wound up this tightly, my dear. You must learn how to relax."

"My age is irrelevant.  Besides, this is hardly a social call.  You brought me here to explain why-"

"All in good time."  He handed her the glass of root beer and sat down next to her, so close their thighs were touching.  Stella scoot herself away from him, which made his grin widen.  "Why must you always be so shy around me?  I'm not going to bite you."

"We've had this discussion once already.  Being in here alone with you is borderline inappropriate.  I don't want the other nurses here to think-"

"Let them think what they want."

"Can we please talk about Vincent Graves?"

"If you insist."

"Why did you punch him?"

"I was defending myself."

"With all due respect, I didn't see him do anything that would warrant self defense. He was talking."

"You missed the initial confrontation. He became violent right before you came in, and he attacked Beverly a few hours ago. He tried to kill her."

"Why?"

"Because he has a history of violence against women, especially beautiful women."

Stella's eyebrows raised at his words. Beverly was about as beautiful as a kick in the teeth. There was more to the story than the doctor was telling her, she was sure of it. She took a sip of her root beer and stood from the sofa, pacing around the office as she tried to process everything.  "I suppose I understand the instinct to protect your sister, but you have to remain professional.  Vincent is sick."

The smile left his lips, and he stood from the sofa as well, stepping close to her. Though he wasn't a very tall man, his frame seemed to tower over hers.  "Do my ears deceive me, or are you lecturing me on how to do my job?"  He didn't give her a chance to answer.  "You've only been here for a couple of weeks, my dear.  You have no idea the kind of people we are dealing with.  I have to be firm."

"I'm sorry, Doctor Greer." She backed away from him, making contact with the wall behind her.

"I could have you fired."  He stepped close to her again, trapping her. "I have been with this hospital for fifteen years. No one on the board would believe your story. They're all in my pocket."

Suddenly, Stella could see the career she worked so hard for crumbling before her eyes.  The doctor was right.  He was a man of good reputation, and she was a lowly nurse.  The board would laugh her out of the hospital if she came to them with her story.

"Ah, the realization has hit you, hasn't it?"  Doctor Greer gloated, leaning his hand against the wall so that his face was right in front of hers.  "Let me give you a word of advice, Stella.  Your job is to support me while I care for the patients, and to shut your pretty mouth if I use unconventional methods."