Surprise

"We are afraid of the enormity of the possible. "

-Emil Cioran

Felicity appeared outside of Rory's little hole in the wall apartment. She hadn't spoken to him since this morning when she couldn't take the secret anymore and told him about the explosion in his hometown. Every time he mentioned his hometown she couldn't stop thinking about the reason behind it. The truth was she only had a little bit of the truth. She has no idea why the darkness inside of Katie stopped all but one nuke, but she felt that she couldn't hide it from Rory any longer and she was pretty sure she's going to have to come clean to Katie as well. She told him about the other explosions that never happened, and how the one that hit his hometown was missed. She didn't go into too many details, she didn't tell him about the darkness in Katie's body or even her powers, just that the woman was able prevent the others but not the one that killed the people in his hometown. He quit the team after that and now she was here hoping he would change his mind. It didn't seem to be working.

"Felicity, I appreciate you coming down here, but I just can't." Rory said with a shake of his head. "I can't do this knowing that for some reason I don't completely understand, one woman decided that my entire family would die."

"That's just it. I told you that we don't know the complete story. There's a reason, I'm sure of it. She just can't tell us right now."

"You're probably right, there probably is a reason, but it doesn't change what happened. There was something she could do and she didn't do it and I can't-"

"Work side by side with someone who is a reminder of what you lost. I get it. I remember thinking I was the one trying to stop Darhk from stealing those nukes, that I was the one who failed when we thought he took them. That devastation that I could've stopped him and couldn't—I know it's not the same thing, but seeing you reminds me of that feeling too. But we want the same thing—to live with what happened and move forward." Felicity's phone buzzed and she pulled it from her pocket. "It's Curtis." she looked back over to Rory. "I'm so sorry, and we could really use you."

"I'm sorry Felicity, I just can't right now."

Felicity simply nodded. "Well if you change your mind, we're here." he gave a nod before watching her leave.

Ari sat beside Curtis at one of the computers. She'd been typing away trying to figure out the endgame with all of this.

"Anything?" Curtis asked her and Ari turned to him with a shake of her head.

"Nothing. I just can't figure out what the point of all of this was. Church wanted that explosion, he wanted to raid the SCPD, but would he really just do this for weapons?" she turned back to the monitor.

"Well he is a bad guy and bad guys usually want more weapons." Evelyn said from behind the girl. "Maybe you should spend less time trying to think like a criminal and more time trying to find one. Or maybe thinking like one comes easier for you given who your parents are." Ari refused to look over to the girl, instead she turned back to Curtis.

"It's so weird that she thinks I won't just kick her ass right now."

"I'd like to see you try," Evelyn took a step forward, but Curtis held up a hand to stop her.

"Definitely not the time." he said just as the elevators opened and in hurried Felicity.

"It's about time, blondie," Rene said impatiently and Felicity grit her teeth at the nickname she could not get away from.