Taken

"Who so loves believes the impossible."

-Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Silence swallowed the air inside of a large conference room as one CEO found herself in a place she did not anticipate.

Annabelle let her eyes sweep over the members of the board as they wait for her to speak. "We all knew this wasn't going to be an easy quarter. With more time-"

"More time?" Annabelle had to fight the sneer that threatened to escape her. It was the man who'd been plotting her downfall since she was named CEO. She slowly turned to her left to see Michael Carroll looking to her with a furrowed brow. The board decided to retain him as COO and since she wanted to ease into this position she didn't want her first decision to be that of against the board. "You know if I remember correctly from your little speech when you were applying for this job, you made promises of increase of profits, an improvement of image, and a better response to marketability and you promised it would happen in no time." Michael glanced around the table at the members of the board. "And for a second there, we thought you were actually doing what you promised, but the truth was, the world thought Katherine Queen was dead," he looked back to the woman whose glare only amused him. "They supported us because they thought they were supporting her."

"What are you trying to say Carroll?" Joshua asked and Michael turned that look of amusement to the man. Annabelle was Joshua's pick for CEO and since, he's backed every decision she's made without his usual argument.

"Well I'm glad you asked Josh." Michael replied turning to the other. "Katherine is alive. And now the city remembers we made her step down as CEO." he let out a snort. "The board made her step down for making us pull our support of Ruvé Adams who turned out to be the wife of a mass murderer, which was possibly the best thing she could've ever done and the board didn't see it. She wanted all of our eggs in the Oliver Queen basket, and look where that would've taken us." once again silence took over the room and Michael stood to his feet. "I would like to bring to the table the possibility of adding Katherine Queen to the board of directors, over which time she be voted back as CEO of her company." he turned back to Annabelle. "No offense Ms. Grey, but your name won't fix what's broken with this company. Your image has not helped and your recent fiasco with that picture of you and the Mayor certainly didn't help. Your name never will. Her's will."

Annabelle stood to her feet. "If I'm not mistaken, Queen isn't on the side of that building." her glare on Michael not wavering as she turns her eyes to the other members of the board. "It is common knowledge that Mrs. Queen's accident has made her unfit to serve on this board, much less be the CEO. I'm telling you if we stay the course, we will see improvement. Let's not worry until the end of the fourth quarter, and if by then-"

"By then we could be boarding up the windows!" Michael turned to his colleagues. "Take the time to really think about this. Letting her go was the mistake that could've buried us, not bringing her back will bury us." he gave a nod before returning to his seat. He glanced back to Annabelle, having to fight the urge to laugh at the look on her face.

After the meeting, Annabelle stalked out of the conference room, her high heels clacked on the linoleum and anyone in her path quickly cleared the way. She stormed into her office, slamming the door behind her and letting out a frustrated growl as she walked over to the mini bar behind her desk to pour herself a drink.

Her body was buzzing with anger at having to sit in that room and listen to that imbecile attempt to take what she deserved.

A knock at the door seemed to ignite her frustration. "What?!" the door slowly opened and appeared her annoying assistant.