Unforeseen

"If history repeats itself,

and the unexpected always happens,

how incapable must Man be of learning from experience."

-George Bernard Shaw

"Happy Birthday to you."

A smile came to Oliver's lips before he actually opened his eyes at the soft singing voice of his wife.

"Happy Birthday to you." she pressed a kiss cheek and then his lips as she slid her body over his. Oliver brought his arms around her as he opened his eyes to see her smiling face.

"Happy Birthday, Mr. Mayor. Happy Birthday to you." she pressed a kiss to his lips, a moan escaping her, as his hands went roaming. She pulled back with a smile that mirrored his own.

"Thank you."

"So can I seriously not talk you out of going to work today?" Katie pressed another kiss to his cheek and Oliver groaned. "I just feel like if anyone deserves an epic birthday adventure that you will want to forget tomorrow, it's definitely you."

"Not that, that doesn't sound utterly enticing. I should go in. Just because Chase is behind bars, doesn't mean there still isn't work to do. Plus, I thought you had an epic birthday adventure planned for this weekend which still has me slightly nervous."

Katie laughed as she pressed another kiss to his lips. "Fine, be a responsible adult or whatever." she let out a sigh before a smile came back to her lips.

"What?"

"Well I don't think I can let you go off to be a responsible adult without a least one birthday surprise."

"I told you, you didn't have to get me–" Oliver words were stolen by her lips once again on his. But soon her lips left his, to place a kiss to his jaw, and then his neck, down to his chest. She continued leaving a trail of kisses until her head disappeared underneath the covers. Oliver decided to accept his birthday surprise with a smile.

Oliver wasn't sure anything could wreck his good mood. At City Hall, he couldn't even wipe the smile off of his face.

"You know I get it's your birthday." Thea said from beside him as they walked down the hall. "But you've never been this smiley ever."

Oliver let out a light laugh before turning away. "Well I had a really good morning."

Thea looked over to her brother in confusion, but then rolled her eyes when she realized what he was hinting at.

"Oh, ew."

"You asked, Speedy." he said as they stepped into the conference room to find Quentin watching a news report.

"Former district attorney Adrian Chase faces multiple counts of capital murder among other charges. SCPD spokesperson Alison Rou credits the Green Arrow with bringing the man known as the Throwing Star killer to justice."

Quentin flicked off the television.

"Looks like the Green Arrow is a hero again." Thea said looking over to her brother.

Quentin picked up the newspaper on the table and slid it over to Oliver. "Yup, and the mayor ain't doing too bad either. The Sentinel has got your approval rating back up to 70%."

"What?" Oliver picked up the paper to read the report. "Has it ever been that high?"

"Uh, no, it wasn't." Quentin replied. "Um, anyway, listen, if you'll excuse me, I got to go find Rene and remove his head from his ass."