The Plan

"Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised. "

-Denis Waitley

Robyn Maisie Queen was officially a one year old. Katie was there the moment the clock struck a little after 1:30 am. It was the exact time she was born. Katie was standing above the sleeping child and didn't turn at the footsteps because she knew whose heavy steps they were. The door slightly creaked before an arm slid around her.

"I thought I was going to miss it." Oliver said slightly out of breath. Katie imagined he did everything possible to make it here in time. They just stood there in silence as they stared down to their daughter.

"I was so scared the moment I found out about her." Katie whispered as she wrapped her arm around Oliver, dropping her head against his chest. "I was petrified. And then I saw her and I couldn't imagine my life without her." Oliver placed a kiss to the top her head before looking back down to their daughter.

"The moment I laid eyes on her, I-" he shook he shook his head. "It didn't seem real. Thinking about everything that had happened to me until that point, it just didn't seem possible." they once again fell silent, staring at their daughter and taking it in.

"Liver, we were actually able to keep this child alive, and relatively safe for a year." Katie said before turning to meet his eyes. "We're parents."

"Yeah, for an entire year." he chuckled before turning back to the child. He placed another kiss to the top of Katie's head. "We should get to bed, it's going to be a busy day." he tugged Katie and she reluctantly let him.

Katie went to sit on the bed as Oliver closed the door. He went about pulling off his clothes for a shower and Katie watched as he moved around to the closet.

"I have to tell you something." she suddenly said and Oliver stepped out of the closet his eyes on her. She looked over to him and let out a sigh.

"What's wrong?" Oliver asked walking over to take a seat beside her on the bed.

"Ok, so you're going to be upset." she said and Oliver frowned slightly. "I got a call a couple of days ago from Christian." Oliver felt his heart race, not able to shake the feeling that something was wrong. "There was some sort of issue with their lab that lead to an investigation. The day I came in after fainting at the police station, the blood samples he took were stolen."

"What do you mean stolen?" Oliver asked and Katie reached over and placed a hand on his. "What—" he shook his head. "He ran tests, and called us and told us that you were fine, that you weren't pregnant. How-"

"A blood sample in the lab was labeled with my information." Oliver didn't say anything as he just looked at her trying to come to terms with what she'd just told him. "Liver, I'm fine."

"But we don't know that. You have to-" he stood to his feet. "I'm taking you to the hospital."

"Liver, I already have an appointment scheduled. Given that I have not experienced any other symptoms, and I'm still not pregnant, we have to believe that I'm fine." Oliver shook his head as he slid a hand over his face. "Liver-"

"Was any other blood samples missing?" Oliver asked and Katie shook her head. "Twinkie-" Katie stood to her feet and walked over to him, placing her hands on his chest hoping to calm him down. "You were the target. Someone took your blood because they didn't want it tested."

"Liver, you have to calm down." Katie said and Oliver turned to her in confusion.

"Why are you so calm about all of this?" he said pulling away from her. He turned and slid a hand over his head. "someone didn't want your blood ran because they-" he turned back to her. "Because you fainting wasn't just some random occurrence." he shook his head. "The reason you fainted was in your blood. It had to be a drug, right?" he turned to her. "Someone drugged you?" it made his blood boil. He wanted to hit something, to just punch something over and over again. "Do you have any idea-"