11. I get mad

Thalia POV

It had been over a day when Artemis left to Olympus with the man. The man that saved my life.

We had taken a while in healing the wounded. Thankfully, the second attack yielded fewer injuries than the first one so we just had to heal the Hunters already partly recovered.

It had taken us longer than usual to reach Central Park but we still arrived in the evening the next day. We had set up camp in our usual spot in Central Park and we waited. Waited for Artemis to meet us here, hopefully with news on the mysterious man.

I got to know Ava a bit better. Turns out, the man had rescued her from her uncle's house where he was constantly beating her. The man had broken into the house and removed Ava's uncle from the land of the living.

We found out Ava's parentage on the trip to Central Park. Turns out, she is a daughter of Demeter. She had told us about the names of plants and flowers and also their uses if they had any. Whenever she would walk past wildflowers, they would seem to gravitate towards her. According to Ava herself, she had apparently been claimed by her mother. Demeter had claimed her when she was in the company of the man that helped her.

Ava was pretty skilled with a bow. She couldn't hit bullseyes consistently yet but she would be able to do it in no time. She was also not bad with hunting knives but she would need practice. She was still young and she had a lot of potential. She was a fine addition to the Hunters.

I was teaching Ava some simple moves with hunting knives when Artemis appeared in the middle of our campsite.

And standing behind her was a familiar golden-eyed man.

The surrounding Hunters immediately drew their bows when they saw a male but they hesitantly dropped them when they recognised who it was.

I studied the man more carefully this time. He was pretty tall, about six foot three. His mask was on but I could still see his golden eyes behind his unruly raven-black hair. I still couldn't place where I had seen that hair before. No matter how hard I try to remember, I just couldn't find the memory of that messy black hair.

For a man that was recently run through with a spear, he looked absolutely fine. There was a hole in his sweatshirt but the wound was no longer there. He was standing just fine and I could almost believe he didn't nearly die just a day ago.

'Girls!' Artemis called out 'Gather around!'

The Hunters in the tents came out and was shocked to find a man in our camp, with our mistress no less. I was sure that the man would have been shot at had Artemis not been there with him.

'We have come to some new developments on Olympus,' Artemis explained 'It seems we have a new member for the Hunt.'

I gasped silently. Artemis was allowing a male in the Hunt? The last time that happened, it didn't end so well. The rest of my sisters took a while longer to realise who she was talking about, but when they did, shouts of outrage erupted from our assembled group and the man had about twenty arrows trained on him in less than a second.

To our surprise, Artemis stepped in front of the man protectively, which was slightly humourous since the man was about two feet taller than her.

'Stand down,' Artemis said calmly but her eyes shone defiantly 'He is here by my choice. Do not fire.'

That shocked me even more. Artemis was the one who invited him into the Hunt? Not only did she invite him but she was defending him from her own Hunters. My sisters lowered their bows while I just stood there looking at the man. I hadn't drawn my bow because he was the one who saved my life. I would not aim an arrow at my savior.