27. Remember

Third-person POV

Sally Jackson stood in her kitchen preparing a special dinner. The smell of homecooked meals and other baked goods in the air gave the small apartment a homely feel. She opened the oven and the smell of cheese on fresh-baked lasagna only grew stronger. 

Sally smiled as she carefully removed the delicious-looking meal from the oven. She couldn't wait to show her daughter this delicious meal she had cooked up. Sally especially couldn't wait to show her the blue cake with a candle shaped like the number four they were going to have after.

All Sally could think about was her son. When he had visited her three weeks ago, she was worried about him going into yet another war but she knew he was going to come back. He had always returned back to her. He would keep his promise.

The sound of giggling reached Sally's ears as she smiled once again. Estelle Blofis sat on the living room floor, playing with a figurine of a man with black hair and green eyes. The figure was holding a small bronze sword with a grin on his face. Anyone looking at it would recognise who it was trying to represent.

Estelle hummed happily as she held the figurine in one hand and another figurine shaped like a winged horse in another. Various other figurines lay scattered on the ground in front of her. She vaguely remembered getting the figurines from someone who visited a while ago. Someone who called himself 'Uncle Neeks' or something along the lines of that.

Paul Blofis sat on the couch behind his daughter reading a magazine. He too worried about his demigod stepson but he had witnessed him survive worse thing before and that was his only consolation.

As Estelle bumped the two figurines together over and over again, Paul couldn't help but smile. Sally had told him that Percy visited when he was at school and that really bummed him out but according to his wife, Percy and Estelle had hit it off instantly. It turns out Percy was a natural big brother.

When a knock sounded off from the front door, Paul's smile widened.

'I got it!' he shouted cheerfully before he shot off the couch. He was sure that Percy had finally returned from his third war. He had missed his stepson dearly.

As soon as he opened the door, the first thing he saw was the unruly black hair. He locked eyes with familiar-looking sea-green orbs but they looked different to Paul, almost darker. His smile faltered as he stepped back and realised the person at the door wasn't his stepson.

'Lord Poseidon.' Paul said surprised. He was so shocked, he had forgotten to bow but luckily, Poseidon ignored it.

'Paul.' the god said sullenly, something Paul had noticed.

'Paul, who's there?' Sally said as she made her way to the door where her husband was just standing there.

Sally stopped in her tracks and her eyes widened as they landed on her former lover. What she failed to notice was the sadness and grief in his eyes.

'Poseidon,' Sally breathed 'Come in, come in.'

Poseidon nodded curtly and entered the cozy apartment when Paul and Sally moved out of the way. He looked around and smiled slightly when he saw Estelle. She grew so much since he had last seen her.

Sally looked at Paul before turning back to Poseidon. The last time he had visited them was when he came to inform them Percy was missing four years ago. Something didn't sit well with the couple and they had no idea why.

'Why are you here, Poseidon?' Sally asked as politely as she could. If Poseidon was here, it would mean that the war was over. If so, then where was Percy? Where was her son?