Chapter 10

I will send out an army to find you
In the middle of the darkest night
It's true, I will rescue you
I will never stop marching to reach you
In the middle of the hardest fight
It's true, I will rescue you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I stepped through the door, I felt a wave of emotions wash over me. Seeing my mom for the first time in days felt relieving, yet a new kind of nerve-racking. I was glad to see her, but I was also frightened about what could happen without immediate medical care.

My mom was laying on her back, wide awake and a smile spread across her face when she saw me in the doorway.

"Mom!" I cried out, running over to hug her. She whispered something incomprehensible in my ear, but I didn't even care. I was just happy to see her. After a few minutes passed, my dad motioned towards my room. Once I curled up into my bed, I pulled out my phone and noticed a few new text messages.

Unknown: This is Luka. How is your mom?

Me: She seems to be doing fine. How did you get my number?

Luka: I added you to our group chat when you went out with Marinette.

He gave me a quick rundown on everyone's number, and I could put them on my phone in a few short minutes. I chatted with everyone for a bit in the group chat when Luka sent me a private message.

Luka: I just wanted to apologize about the kiss. It was random and uncalled for, and I don't want to lie to you. I have only known you for less than a week but I feel such a strong attraction towards you and when I realized what I did it was too late.

Luka: It wasn't my place to kiss you without your consent or without even asking.

Me: I don't even know what to say- thank you so much for apologizing when you didn't have to. It is totally okay.

Luka: That's good. I know things are probably hard with your mother right now, so if you ever need anything just tell me. Alright?

Me: I will. Thank you.

I powered off my phone in hopes of getting a few hours of sleep before the new school day, but no matter what I did the image of the possibility of my mother's death haunted me.

Before my eyes shut, it was time for school. The entire bus ride there was a blur and the majority of Ms. Bustier's class felt like a dream; hard to remember, but not impossible. Once lunch came, I was on the verge of passing out. I have pulled all-nighters before, but I was always doing something. It never felt like an all-nighter. Lila sat with us for some reason. She tried to make conversation with me, but I would get distracted every time Marinette would give her the side-eye.

The rest of the day went by in a flash. Once I waved to everyone in the group, my father picked me up and drove me home. My pencil hit the table every few minutes, snapping me back into reality. My homework took much longer than normal, and once I finished I flopped onto my bed and slept for a few hours before being woken up. I quickly noticed a figure sitting on my windowsill.

"Who are-?"

"Y/N L/N. I need you."