Chapter 9

Y/N's Perspective

As soon as I spit out the question, I got flustered and embarrassed. I felt awful for him to have to pay for ice cream that he wouldn't even eat.

Before he could even reply, Marinette jumped up and screaming, "No!"

I turned around to see what her problem is to where she sits there with a panicked expression on her face.

"You can't because I uh- uh- Can you just step out of the car so I can tell you?" I reluctantly stepped out of the car, frustrated that it would be a while before I could see my mother again. Once we stepped out of the car, I followed her to a secluded area behind a few trees to where she finally explained.

"Listen, I know how these things happen. It starts with friendly ice cream, but then before you know it, you tumble down into the depths of feelings. I like Adrien but if he doesn't work out-"

"You want to have Luka as a backup," I finished for her. She tried denying it, but it ultimately turned into her finally agreeing.

"Marinette that is disgusting. Do you realize how Luka could feel? It is unfair to keep him in a waiting room!" By the time I finished speaking, my voice had gotten louder by many decibels; to the point where everyone around me including the group in the car could hear me screaming.

After my short monologue, we strolled back to the car and drove the rest of the way back to Paris without anyone saying a word. We ended up skipping dinner, and Luka took everyone back to their house. Along the way, everyone ate their ice cream, to which I began to play a game with myself. I would give Marinette one week to confess her feelings to Adrien and for him to give a response, where she could then make her final choice on whether she wanted Adrien or Luka. If she didn't choose within that time, I would not let her impact my decisions any further.

Many of the people in the group went home in pairs, to hang out further. Alya went to Marinette's house, Juleka to Rose's, which left Kagami, Nino, and Adrien to go to their own home. We seemed to be driving forever and in every direction. After many goodbyes, Luka and I were left in the car.

"I hate to ask again, but are you really sure you're okay?" I turned to look him straight in the eyes, and once again he had a genuine look on his face.

I chuckled and gave him an assertive nod.

"Really? Because it doesn't bother me if you need to cuddle with me to feel better." Was this... Flirting?? I mean, he wasn't terrible at it; just a bit unexpected. Part of me wanted it, but the other part of me remembered the deal I made with myself. Marinette told me not to do anything too crazy, but she didn't know about the deal. And what's stopping me?

"Y/N?"

"Sorry! I was just- uh thinking," I looked down at the car seat when I felt a warm hand lift my cheek. I immediately flinched back, being too touch starved to even remember the last time someone's skin has been against mine.

"You poor thing..." His face turned gray with sadness before a smile spread across his face. He slowly leaned forward until his lips were pressed against mine. It wasn't overly magical, nor did colors explode when it happened, but it was real.

The last thing he said to me before I left was to go see my mom and to love her with everything I had because it would take a million words to be satisfied the moment she left, whether it was soon or later in life.