Chapter 20, Chronicles of The Third Great Ninja War: Part 4

Začať od začiatku

Once he stood at the gate of the cemetery of the shinobi memorial, he took a moment to appreciate the way that rays of the sunset caressed Ichiko's hair and skin. She stood before the gravestones of her fallen comrades. She refused to weep or mourn, since her mind held onto the idea that each and every one of them is still alive inside her heart.

She was unaware of Hayate's presence, still inside her own trances and reveries. It wasn't until Hayate sneaked up behind her did she smile and remark, "I see you haven't changed at all since our days at the academy".

Hayate's eyes scrutinized the lace details on the back of her sun dress and questioned ,"Do you ever want me to change?".

Ichiko turned around and faced him, her hair wasn't styled in her usual long braid. Instead it cascaded freely down her shoulders into loose ringlets.

"Never"

A smirk made its way onto Hayate's face, the same smirk that Ichiko recalled when he bit back the kunai that was going to take her left eye. Later during the war he'd boast and brag to her about that chivalrous moment. He held out the flowers he'd picked from the Yamanaka's flower shop and handed them to her.

"Shall we?"

Ichiko finished searching his eyes and answered, "Yes".

Hayate never got enough of the sight of the white butterflies floating around Ichiko at this very moment. When he'd asked her about it she narrated to him the story of how she came to develop a kinship with butterflies at the early age of five.

"They've watched over me ever since", she told him on one of those rainy and freezing war nights.

The flowers however, weren't for either Ichiko or the butterflies. They were for the fallen shinobi of the Hidden Leaf.

Hayate and Ichiko made sure to place at least two flowers on top of every gravestone, muttering their prayers throughout as well.

Later on, they would be informed about the festival ordered by the Third Hokage.

The sky would eventually grow dark enough for a pretty crescent moon to shine through. Everyone in the village was informed of the festival held by the Hokage. It helped gloss a coat of entertainment over their spirits.

The stars began coming into view as well when Hayate and Ichiko caught sight of each other on the rooftop of the Hokage's office. Ichiko made sure to get into her 'ready-for-battle' fit. It has never failed to make Hayate blush and tremble in fear at the same time.

There were other people present as well. Like their comrade Fugaku Uchiha and more people they recognized from fighting side by side on the battlefield.

"I see you two really look like a match made in heaven", Fugaku teased, darting a suggestive glance between Hayate and Ichiko.

"Tell us something we don't already know", Hayate smirked and engulfed Ichiko in a side-hug.

A round of laughter erupted from them as the rooftop grew gradually more bustled.

Ichiko and Hayate continued making conversation with people they knew as time passed. Yet once the Third Hokage made an appearance along with his advisor, the heroes of war stood their ground and bit back their tongues in respect to the man who symbolized the Will of Fire.