Chapter 47, Who Was Ichiko Uchiha?

Itachi's P.O.V

"Itachi"

I chinned up to look at my father in awe, his hands folded over his chest as he inspected me intently. I remain dumbfounded for a moment then glanced down at my lap.

...I must've tuned out...

Sasuke laid asleep in my arms as I sat on the patio. Today was the first day where I got to actually have some quality time with my kid brother since a long time. I even helped him train and perfect his Shuriken Jutsu. He'd surprised father with his performance of the Fireball Jutsu.

"You're summoned to this urgent meeting as well", he informed, his eyes darting to the sleeping Sasuke.

The Hokage had either postponed or delayed the Anbu duties temporarily. As of now the Uchiha and the higher ups are in good terms. An urgent meeting was held today so we can discuss that night more in depth.

"Understood", I assure and scoop up Sasuke protectively. Father had smiled faintly as I carried Sasuke inside.

I tucked Sasuke in his bed, and couldn't help but think that it's been four days since Hanabi set out on that S-rank mission. Kotetsu and Izumo would assure me that they haven't seen her return back to the village. But that's just how S-rank missions are, they take a lot of time to be completed.

Without Hanabi around, I got a bit lonely and restless.

I'm just thankful I got myself through the private meet up with the Hokage...

2 days ago...

"Listen, Itachi", Lord Hokage looked from under his hat, observing my body language carefully.

I know too well about what he plans to talk about, but I have to play dumb this time.

"Yes sir"

"I'm hoping Fugaku Uchiha filled you in on what's happened recently at the Uchiha's Naka Shrine", he laced his hands together and awaited my response.

Making sure I give nothing away, I say, "yes, it's truly devastating".

"I thought so", he squints his eyes at me then inquired the following, "May I ask where were you when it all happened?".

"Yes", I flatly reply, then I held my breath for a second. I thought it out a bit in my mind then replied in a neutral tone, "since it was my day off, I was busy spending it with Hanabi..."

I swallowed a lump in my throat, and maintained a neutral expression.

"Hanabi? That's new", he remarked, then took out his pipe for a long drag. Once he blew the smoke away he asked, "what's the relation between the two of you? If you don't mind me asking".

"Just two opposites who are hellbent on preventing a civil war in a village where us youngsters are burdened with things the adults should've settled a long time ago".

"We're just two opposites who attract...", I say, hoping he's convinced. That sentence surprisingly came from the bottom of my heart. It was raw and true.

When his response didn't come, I sighed and added, "we spend the day together...", I almost bit my tongue as I divulged the following bit, "...it was a long date..."

"Oh...", the Hokage said nervously, "I hope the two of you enjoyed it..."

"Yeah", I anxiously scoffed, my hand snaked to the back of my neck.

In my defense, nothing more believable came to mind...

***

I faintly smiled when I witnessed Sasuke talking in his sleep. He was murmuring about getting stronger than me and making the Uchiha clan proud. I brushed his bangs away from his face then left.