Chapter 42 - Awake

Start from the beginning

* * *

I go and stand outside the Infirmary for probably five minutes until I see Zeke barreling down the hall toward me.

"H-H-Hi." He says out of breath.

"Hi. Let's walk and talk. C'mon." I say turning around and starting the path to her room. "She is on the fifth floor so he have some stairs to climb."

"Okay."

I go over everything with him; how she won't wake up, how they can't tell what's wrong until she wakes up, how she may be able to hear us talking even though she's in a coma, and all of that.

"Here it is, room E17." I say.

"Will you come in with me at first? I may need the support." He says his hand on the doorknob but not making eye contact with me. I can tell he's nervous.

"Yeah. Sure."

"You go first." He says backing away from the door.

"Okay..." I say. He's acting really weird. But yet again, he's nervous.

I open the door and walk into the room.

"Hey Shauna! Zeke is he-- Oh my god! Shauna!" I stop in mid sentence and can't continue walking.

"What? What?! What's wrong?!" Zeke runs into the room.

"Oww. My back. Get a doctor. My back." She groans in pain.

She's awake!

Zeke runs over to her and takes her hand. I run to go get a doctor.

"She's awake and in pain! We need a doctor! She's awake!" I yell.

I nurse goes and makes a call on a phone while another one comes rushing down the hall and beats me to Shauna's room.

I rush after the nurse into the room. Shauna has her eyes open but filled with tears and she has the worst look of pain on her face. She was more peaceful while in the coma.

"I'm going to have to ask you two to leave." The nurse says.

Zeke holds his ground begging for them to let him stay.

"Ma'am. Please leave." The nurse turning toward me.

"I'll leave but please let him stay. He's like the only thing to family she has left. I'll leave no questions asked just please let him stay." I plead.

"We'll see what the doctor says. Now please leave. We will let you back in later."

I walk out the door just as doctors start rushing down the hall toward Shauna's room.

Shauna       (Starting from after Christina leaves the room)

I finally break out of the darkness to a room full of light.

I blink rapidly a few times and I realize that I reconise this place; I'm in the Infirmary.

I could've sworn that I heard Christina in here talking to me and I felt her touch my arm. But she's not here now.

What did she say? I know she had said something, I just don't remember what.

I try to look around and see what's going on or what the room looks like, but I can't move from the waist down. When I try to move, pain shoots strainght down my spine and down my legs. I groan in pain.

The sensation is familiar, but when do I remember it from?

I try to think, but all I can focus on is the pain in my back getting stronger and worse by the second. It hurts when I breathe, when I move, when I blink, but I cannot feel my legs. It's hard to explain. They hurt, but I cannot feel them.