Chapter 34 - Here We Go

Tris

I stroke the top of Mom's hand trying to comfort her. She has had to be in labor for at least a day now.

I've been focusing on Mom more than anything because if I let my mind drift, then my brain processes the overwhelming pain in my leg.

Mom starts to breath heavily again. She's having another contraction. I can tell that they are getting a little closer together, but not much. She gets like two an hour.

But yet again, I don't have a clock...

So I have no clue how far apart they really are.

Nor am I a doctor,

So I surely cannot deliver a baby.

The only thing I really can do is try to make her feel as safe and as comfortable as possible.

"Your doing good mom. Don't worry, we will get through this together. I'm so proud of you. I love you. Your doing good." I murmur encouragingly.

I put my head on her shoulder and she rests her head on top of mine. The simple gesture brings tears to my eyes. We may have our lives at stake right now, but at least we can comfort one another.

Of course, another contraction ruins the moment. She jumps in pain and yells out louder than ever. Cara, who was taking a nap, jumps up and stares at me wide eyed. Then she realizes that it's just my mother and sits up calmer and rests her head on the bars. She looks overtired. Well, she is the only one here with some form of medical smartness, so she's been dealing with mom and I for who knows how long.

"What's the pain, Mrs. Prior? One to ten?" She asks.

"Ahh. Seven." She says heavily breathing.

"According to that she's close." She says quietly but loud enough for me to hear.

"And.... It's Natalie." Mom breathes.

I look over to mom and see that she's pulling herself up on the bars trying to stand.

"Mom! Don't hurt yourself!"

"Beatrice. I'm fine." She snaps.

"I just don't want you to hurt yourself mom." I say back calmer.

"I'm sorr-y. I-I didn-'t mea-n to sn-nap a-at y-y-you." She sobs.

"It's okay. Just the hormones talking mom."

I scoot over toward Cara biting my teeth in pain.

"I don't know much about childbirth. I only ever assisted in childbirth a few times as a nurse, but I never was trained in it; nor have I ever experienced it yet." She says with a hand on her stomach. I see guilt in her eyes.

"She has experienced it before though with Caleb and I. She has to have some clue of what she is doing." At least I hope.

She nods. "Sometimes it helps for some women to stand during labor. I'd trust that your mom knows what she's doing. Like you said, she has experienced it before."

I nod.

Caleb is looking at the two of us. I wonder what he is thinking. He never talks much. He's probably so upset to have to just sit there having no way to help any of us on this side. I can't blame him though... I would rather die than sit there and not be able to help in any way.

All of a sudden his eyes shift toward the celing. He doesn't move his eyes at all for what feels like forever. He doesn't flinch when mom cried out. He doesn't react to dad yelling encouraging things to her from his cell. He doesn't react to me staring at him.