Chapter 20 - Unfortunate Reality

Tris

I'm standing in the Chasm, but this isn't just by the Chasm, this is where Tobias showed me his tattoo and where him and I first kissed. He comes walking toward me, and presses his lips to mine; just like the last time we were here except I don't stop him. It's been so long since I've been this happy. But of course I'm happy right now, I am kissing the love of my life.

We just stand there kissing in the Chasm for what feels like forever and a day until he pulls away.

"I love you." He says tears brimming his eyes.

A tear escapes my eye,"I love you too."

"Be brave, Tris." He presses his lips to mine again and I don't hesitate to kiss back.

I jump, pain shooting down my leg, causing me to let out a strangled cry. The ghost of his lips still linger on mine.

I touch my lips looking around just to realize that it was all a dream.

I'm still in this damn cell with three bullets lodged in my left leg, and a man that wants me to die as slowly as possible.

But worst of all, Tobias isn't here. But in a way, that's a good. It's better him than me, as long as he's safe, I'll be partially happy.

On the other hand, I wish he was here to tell me everything will be okay; to comfort me; to press his lips to mine like he did in my dream.

Tears start spilling out if my eyes and I hide my head in my hands forgetting about the pain in my leg, but confronting the pain in my heart head on. Why does life have to be so hard? Why can't I just have a moment of peace; even if it's in a dream.

"Be brave." He told me in my dream. Also before my first simulation back during Dauntless initiation.

I will be brave. I can live through this; we all can.

Dad and Mom are still asleep. Good thing that I didn't wake them up, because they need it... especially mom.

Now that she's asleep and still, I can get a good look at her. She is physically the same, her dark brown hair pulled back in a messy bun, her face has some mild bruising, but she mostly looks the same. She looks different because I know her in only one kind of clothing; abnegation's distinct grey attire. Right now she is wearing dark grey sweatpants and a huge baggy grey shirt. That attire may not look right on her to me, but it's nothing I can't get use to. But by how she is laying right now, I notice something...

She is not as skinny as I remember. That doesn't make sense... She's getting the same amount, if not, less food than Dad and I. Unless David is pulling her out to give her more food or something...

But I highly doubt that.

It just doesn't make sense...

She has a huge shirt on, so I'm assuming that David is trying to hide something.

I can't contain my curiosities any longer. I slowly and cautiously slip my right hand between the bars, wincing as some of my weight is added to my left leg, and try and lift up her shirt without her noticing.

I slide it up slowly.

Little bit by little bit trying not to wake her.

I hold back a gasp as I have her shirt up by her belly button and it looks like what I was scared of.

A little more,

There.

Now her shirt is all the way over her stomach and I can't conceal a gasp any longer.