Chapter 29 - Amity Much?

Tobias

It's seven am when I wake up naturally, not by Indy.

"Where is he?" I ask myself.

I get out of bed and walk out to the living room only in my boxers. There I see my Tris petting Indy's belly. He looks like he's in heaven.

"Good morning." She says walking over to me. "He was going to wake you up, so I took him out here so you could sleep longer."

"Thanks." I say.

She moves closer to me resting her hands on my bare chest. All she's in is one of my T-shirts that comes just below her thighs.

We stand there in each other's embrace for what feels like forever; but it's still way too short. She looks up at me and presses her soft lips to my chapped ones. We stay like that until Indy starts barking.

I jump up and start sobbing. Indy is barking at me.

"Go away!" I yell throwing my pillow at him.

He yelps and dodges the pillow. I continue to sit there and cry. The ghost of her lips still on mine. But when I touch them and it's like her ghost has vanished then returned once I take my hand away.

I get up, take her shirt and lay down. I just cry and cry into the shirt. I don't even look up when I hear tiny feet coming into the room.

The feet stop at my bed, then he jumps up on my bed. I just keep sobbing.

He tries to fit his head in between me and the shirt, but it doesn't work.

Then he sits up and licks my face before the tears can fall. He decides that that isn't working so he just sits there.

Then he begins to whimper. He puts his head down on my lap and begins to whine.

It's like he knew her as well and is crying with me.

"Wh-what are y-you sa-d abo-ut? Y-ou ne-ver knew her." I manage to say.

He sits up and licks my face.

I just lay down and stare at the wall. I feel like she's still here somehow, somewhere.

Indy lays down on the bed next to me. He still continues to whimper.

I look at the clock. Seven am. It was the same time in my dream. I have to be in Josh's office in two hours or else they'll get curious and come to find me.

I sit up and hug Indy. It's more like I almost lay on top of him.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I continue to say over and over.

"I should have never thrown the pillow at you. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I'm sorry. It's not your fault. I'm sorry. Your such a good boy. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I sob.

He licks my face as if he was replying.

For once I one hundred percent now understand why Mom got me a dog.

For the times like this.

*   *   *

Zeke

As normal, I get up at five to work the morning shift from six till eleven am. I don't wake Shauna up becaue she doesn't have to go to work till eight, so she doesn't have to be up this early.

I get to the control room around five fourty-fiveish and sit down to begin.

It's pretty average... People messing around in the pit, beople walking through the Chasm, people leaving their apartments for work that morning. Nothing out of the ordinary. It's better if it always stays this way.