Go

"Get dressed." A guard gruffly ordered once the royals were filed out. They lay on the bed, Harrison on top of Beth with his head resting in the nook of her neck and shoulder. A sheet barely covered half of them, rising up and down with Harrison's steady breathing. Beth trembled for a moment as Harrison rose off of her. She couldn't bring herself to move at first, so she counted backwards from five. When she sat up there was a rush to her head, her vision blurring in and out for a few seconds. She took the sheet around herself.

Harrison handed her a rag, evading eye contact. Facing away from her, he pulled on his breeches and boots briskly. He looked around for his shirt, his eyes darting. Beth picked it up and handed it to him. They finally looked at each other.

"Thank you." He smiled briefly, taking the shirt from her.

"Can you hand me my—" She pointed to her small pile of clothes next to him.

"Oh—of course." He scooped up her bundle and placed it on the bed next to her. She stood up and dressed as Harrison dazedly watched her, wondering if he should speak or not. Before he had a chance to decide, the guards lead them out.

"Where—where are we going—" Beth asked as she was being pushed.

"The ship." A guard replied.

"Wait—already?" She panicked.

"Silence—" The guard started, but she soon became unhinged.

"But wait! I have family! I haven't been able to say goodbye—I'll never see them again—they don't know where I am and I didn't get to say goodbye—"

"I said silence!" He slapped her, her words screeching to a halt.

Harrison broke away from the guard holding him pulled her away instinctively. The guard restrained him once again before he could lay a finger on the one who struck her. "You shouldn't treat a lady like that, sir." He seethed.

The guard laughed deeply. "Oh, Captain you would've done the same. Besides, you're not the boss of me anymore. Traitor!" He then struck Harrison square in the jaw, although not hard enough to hurt much. Even as a prisoner, it was hard to see him as anyone less than Captain of the Royal Guard. It was in his blood, it seemed. It was his soul. He scoffed at the attempt at dominance. He knew the man was afraid. As cruel as the king had been lately, Harrison knew he wouldn't condone someone striking him. He was still the favorite.

***

Tom had been escorted back to his chambers, the door locked behind him. He ventured down his passage, but there were guards outside waiting for him. He was dragged back up, like a scolded child. He spent a few minutes punching the doors in anger as well as contemplating whether or not he'd survive a jump out the window. He ultimately decided the answer was a massive no, and resigned himself to gazing out at the horizon. The palace was right on the sea, the diamond waters glimmering with sorrow. He thought of how he would look at those waters after today. After today, he thought, they were nothing but a barrier. He would never see another sunset on the water or pleasure trip at sea. It would always be an enemy to him.

A knock sounded. His sadness turned quickly to annoyance for he knew who was there. "It's locked." He moaned.

The doors opened and closed swiftly, Zendaya floating in. "I know, I just thought I'd knock for courtesy." He said nothing. "The ceremony got me thinking about our wedding—"

At this, he exploded. "You never know when to quit! Do you? Do you have any sense??"

"Thomas—"

"No! I'm asking you to leave!" He paused, running a hand through his hair, feeling his tense forehead.

"Well I'm not, we've hardly had a chance to discuss our wedding at all." She said calmly.

"Just...go." He stood amazed at her persistence.

She started to turn away, but stopped. "No. Not until you answer me this." She went over to him and forced his gaze upon her. "Will you ever love me?"

"That's a stupid question—"

"Answer me—yes or no—"

"No! Is that not clear?"

Vulnerable emotion slammed into her entire body. A part of her began to feel something again, a feeling that had been so lost she thought it was gone. "Why?"

"Why?" He was stunned and crippled by anger, but looking into her eyes made him feel strangely sympathetic. "Well—for one you've been treacherous. I'm not sure what you're supposed to be under the circumstances—but otherwise, you're just not her."

"What could be so special about her—I don't mean that brashly but rather curiously—"

"Just stop, Zendaya." He looked deeper into her eyes, searching. "You're in so much pain, but I can't help you."

She began to cry, taking in a sharp breath. "Being royal—" She laughed pathetically. "Well it isn't all it's rumored to be, is it? You get everything you want—but then you're not prepared when what you want more than anything...can't be yours." She suddenly grabbed his face and gently kissed him. She slowly pulled away, a large tear falling down her face. "Go."

"What?"

"Just go! Leave!" She fled out the doors in tears, leaving them open. There were no guards on the other side.