The Princess

Before Tom knew it, he was swept into a whirlwind of servants primping and prodding at him: dressing him, combing his curls back, grooming every bit of his being. He felt restricted by the stiff, embellished garments, but he was grateful he would never have to touch a corset. The thought of them sent shivers down his spine. How women breathed in those torture devices perplexed him.

"Princess Zendaya will be arriving shortly." A servant reported, curtsying as she walked in. "Your father, King Dominic, requests your presence in the throne room as soon as possible."

Tom nodded his head. "Has Harrison been around?"

"He is on duty, your Highness."

"Find him and send him up at once. I won't go down without seeing him first."

"Yes, your Highness." The servant girl curtseyed again before exiting in haste. Tom felt guilty for sending her to find Harrison, knowing she might take the blame if he were late, but he couldn't bear facing the princess without reading his beloved's letter first.

Within moments, Harrison burst through his chamber doors. "Sorry mate, I nearly didn't make it back in time this morning." He panted slightly, having just run up the stairs. "Here's the letter, but there's no time. She's entering the palace as we speak."

"Please, let me look at it—" Tom grabbed the letter from Harrison's hand, unfolding it hungrily. He scanned the page, beaming like the sun peaking from behind clouds after a rainy afternoon.

"Tom! We have to get down there!" Harrison grabbed his arm in attempt to get him moving. Tom ignored him, pointing to a line on the parchment.

"Look Haz! It says here she loves me a thousand times more than—"

"I've read it already—let's go—"

"You read my letter—" Tom squeaked as Harrison finally managed to pull him out of his chambers. He swiftly took the letter back, shoving it inside his jacket. Two guards waited by the staircase, ready to escort Tom. The boys quickly composed themselves.

"Good luck, your Highness." Harrison waved solemnly as the guards took him down.

"Thank you, Captain." Tom smiled looking back at him before he descended, a large knot in his stomach forming.

Upon entering the throne room, there was an excruciatingly dead silence aside from Tom's own footsteps along with the guards. He could feel the stares of his family as well as the guests at court, burning his skin like a rash. He stood tall and dignified like he'd been taught and stood in his place. His mother smiled, whispering through her gritted teeth. "You're late."

Tom shrugged, much to her displeasure. Sam, Harry, and Paddy snickered at his heedless expression. King Dominic sighed disapprovingly before motioning the guards to open the doors. A hush came over the young princes as the doors eased opened, revealing the striking presence of the princess.

"Her Highness, Princess Zendaya." The herald proclaimed as she entered. She had both grace and poise and the innate ability to hold a room simply by the way she carried herself. She demanded respect without even saying a word. Tom was immediately intimidated, fearing she'd bite his hand off the moment he reached for hers. Despite her intense disposition she was quite a beauty, possessing captivating features from head to toe. She curtseyed slowly, gliding like a swan. Tom met her gaze, and his face must have flushed for her eyes twinkled with amusement.