A Ring

"Okay, I think I have a compromise we can all live with...hopefully." Harrison said before taking a bite out of a shiny green apple. His feet were propped up on the dining room table, and he threw his head back in pleasure as he munched on the crisp hunk of fruit.

"Go on." Tom said eagerly, standing over him.

Harrison held up a finger as he chewed, making sure to really savor the tartness in spite of Tom's impatience. "Your father has made it clear that once the princess arrives, you won't be leaving the castle. Or at least not unaccompanied, and certainly not for half the day."

"That's cheery, Haz, can you get to the part that's supposed to make me feel better?"

Harrison sighed, putting the apple to his lips, but it was quickly smacked from his hands by Beth, ever so innocently. Harrison narrowed his eyes as he got up to retrieve it, worried it's pristine roundness was now bruised from being knocked to the ground. "As I was saying, since your outings will be very limited, I was going to graciously offer my assistance in delivering letters back and forth."

"Like my own private messenger." Tom teased, clapping a hand on Harrison's shoulder.

"Oh, thank you Harrison you're so kind to risk your life for me—" Harrison joked, feigning offense.

"Will we ever be able to see each other?" Beth asked, hopeful.

"I'll see what I can do. Tom will be occupied with the princess most of the day, but I can manipulate where the guards are on duty at night and sneak him out that way."

"Thank you, Harrison." She said, offering him a new apple from the basket on the table.

"Don't expect him often, but I'm sure we can manage some." He happily took the apple as a token of peace.

Tom embraces her, holding her tight to his chest. "You're certain of this, love? You care for me enough to do all this?"

"You're devoted. You're exactly what I was waiting for." She whispered, nuzzling into him.

"We need to be headed back." Harrison said, throwing the apple up and catching it before heading towards the doorway.

"I'll see you soon." She said, kissing Tom briefly.

"Ah ha, but you'll see me sooner." Harrison laughed dryly, thinking about what he'd just gotten himself into.

"Can't wait." She smiled. "You're a delight to have around."

"Oh, darling, I know." He replied, feeling suave. He soon left them to go find his horse, as he had neglected to tie it up in the stable. Miraculously, the disciplined creature hadn't strayed far and was still standing right in the brush where he left her. Nonetheless, Harrison busied himself in an attempt to give Tom a private moment with his love, something that would soon be hard to come by.

"I love you." Tom said before kissing her passionately, trying to remember everything he was feeling: how her lips tasted, the way her body was shaped, the way her hair still smelled faintly of soap even after a day in the sun, how she made his heart flutter whenever she gently tugged at his curls. He knew he couldn't survive without a vivid memory of this. He needed something to hold on to before going back in the fray.

"I don't want you to go." She stuttered, a few tears escaping. "What if the princess is—"

Tom gently shushed her, brushing a strand of her hair behind her ear. "No princess compares to you, darling, if that's what you're worried about."

"How do you know? You don't know her—"

"Well, I do know that princesses—and even ladies—they always have to keep up appearances like I do. All the jewels and the dresses and the makeup—not to mention all their mannerisms—they think they enhance their beauty while all it really does is cover them up. I think they're using them all wrong. No matter what I feel like I'm attending a masquerade. I'll never know this princess, even if I'm married to her for the rest of my life. And she'll never love me, because she'll never know me either. Not like you do." Tom kissed her head, hugging her tightly.

Harrison came back in, knocking on the doorframe, a sad look on his face. "Time to go."

"I'll write you everyday and see you as often as I can, love. I promise." Tom kissed her one last time, his lips lingering as he struggled to let go.
When he finally did, he paused to look at her, smiling, and slipped a ring off of his finger. The golden band was somewhat duller than expected for a ring gracing any royal finger. The gems, however, gleamed brightly in contrast. There were three stones: a blue oval sapphire in the center flanked by two rose cut diamonds. It was simple, yet lavish. He folded it into her palm. "Keep this, and think of me when you wear it. Remember how I feel about you. And every time I notice it missing from my finger, I'll think of you and how you need no such 'enhancements' as other ladies do."

"I will." She smiled, having never held something so valuable, but it wasn't so because of the precious metal or stones. It was the first ring she had ever received, and it came from a man she loved. It was priceless.

With that, she dismally watched Tom and Harrison ride away, already counting the minutes until tomorrow when Harrison will return with a letter. She examined the ring, rolling her thumb over the jewels. She regretfully took a piece of string, wishing she had a pretty chain instead, and tied the ring around her neck. It was too big for all of her fingers, and she would die if it slipped off and got lost. She couldn't stop fiddling with it, loving the feeling of the cool metal rolling between her fingers. And no matter what she was up to, he always came to her mind when she felt it, his words echoing over and over, making her heart beam.