Unraveled

Zendaya held her head as high as she could muster while she glided down the long corridor as if nothing was amiss, nodding cordially to everyone she passed. She still couldn't manage to hide the disdainful, sour expression that seeped through her shallow mask of manners. She had been miserably lying in wait since the night before:

"Bella, could you do something for me?" Zendaya paced nervously in front of the fireplace, her hair looking as if nature had left it.

"My lady, be careful! You'll scorch your gown if you get any closer to the fire." Bella, her trusted lady-in-waiting, led her over to the chair, fluffing a cushion.

"Never mind the gown!" Zendaya growled in frustration. "I need you to sneak into Thomas' chambers and retrieve something for me. Papers from his desk."

Bella's face fell at the steep demand Zendaya asked of her. The task was no easy one. "My lady...isn't that overstepping a bit? Perhaps even...a crime?"

Zendaya scoffed, rising from her seat. "Well if you won't, I will."

"My lady! Wait—what is this for?"

"I'm growing anxious, Bella. He's hiding something, and I need to know what it is or else I won't be able to sleep tonight. I may be a woman, I might even be in love, but I won't be cast aside and kept in the dark. Nor do I ever intend on ignoring the signals I am getting from him. It's too much."

"Alright, we can go together, if you wish."

"Princess Zendaya." A royal guard greeted her, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"I have an audience with the king and queen, His Majesty's health permitting, of course."

"At this hour?" The guard questioned.

"Yes, and you will announce me at once."

This was not what she wanted. She dreamed that fulfilling her duties as a princess would result in something more than just a pact for power, but rather a somewhat unexpectedly predestined love story. More than anything else she wanted to love him, but there was little hope for that now.

***

"For the last time, no! Absolutely not! Last night was too close—way too close—"

"I'm not asking your permission, Haz. I have to go see her—"

Harrison grabbed his shoulder roughly, but Tom shrugged away. "This is a mistake! We have to keep laying low, now more than ever!"

Tom shook his head, staying firm. "I'm tired of laying low. I'm leaving—"

Grabbing Tom's shoulders, Harrison spoke severely, "Get this through your thick skull. You. Are. A. Prince! You've had your adventure, but now it's time to move on. It's too risky now—"

"Haz, how can you possibly think that way? You know firsthand how I feel about all of this, and you're still so cruel to me—"

"Cruel?" Harrison chuckled, completely ticked. "I'm being cruel? I'm trying my best to allow you to have your romance—riding back and forth delivering your letters, planning my guard's posts around your visits, and sneaking you out of here all the time and all without complaint, but no. I'm just so cruel because I have at least an ounce of concern about everyone's safety and the bloody line of succession in this kingdom!"

They were both silent a moment, Harrison angry voice echoing softly on the walls. Tom nervously stared off. "Did you hide my letters?" Tom asked in a stiff tone, finally looking back over at Harrison.