Letters

Harrison groaned as he knocked on Tom's door, the soft tap sounding thunderous in the silent hall. He barely lifted his fist off the door as it opened, revealing an impatient and clearly sleep deprived prince. His letter was ready, firmly held with both hands with the royal seal front and center.

"You used the royal seal? That's not in any way obvious." Harrison rolled his eyes.

"It's all I had." Tom shrugged sleepily, tenderly handing the letter over to Harrison, who shoved it in his satchel with less care than Tom had wanted. "Careful." He seethed.

"It's a letter, not a glass figurine." Harrison patted the bag at his side. "I promise it'll survive the ride."

"I wish I could go." Tom sighed.

"Soon mate, but not today. The princess will be here in a couple of hours—"

"Don't you have to make it back in time for preparations? I don't see why I can't—" Tom protested.

"For the last time, no! You have stay here and that's final. I will take you as soon as I can, alright?"

"Alright. Thank you." Tom retreated back into his chambers, pacing. He turned to his desk, cringing at himself for writing upwards of a dozen drafts of one letter. The crumpled, ink stained parchment littered the floor around his chair, but he couldn't convince himself to clean it up. He plopped on the bed, the thought of a nosy servant sifting through the rubbish plaguing his mind, but he couldn't get up. He laid there motionless for what seemed like hours. The weight of the day ahead was crushing him.

Meanwhile, Harrison pulled back on the reins, sliding to a sharp stop in front of the cottage. He dismounted, lazily tying his horse up in the stable before rushing inside. His nose was greeted by the sensational scent of bacon sizzling over the fire. Beth was bright and alert, sliding a large plate of food on the table.

"Hungry?" She asked, although she knew the answer.

Harrison hastily sat down, not wasting any time. "Thank you so much." He managed in between mouthfuls.

"No problem. You might as well have a meal to look forward to for all your troubles." She sat next to him, fidgeting with her apron. She was bursting at the seams, waiting for him to produce the letter. Her head began spinning as he reached into his satchel, noticing her eagerness.

"Make sure you keep this where no one will find it." He said as he handed her the crisp envelope, a serious expression clouding his features.

"I promise." She barely got out as she popped open the seal. She had never received anything so sumptuous. She had to fight every urge she had to pull the letter out slowly, rather than shred the envelope to pieces. It took much too long to open for her liking, but it was all worth it when she finally unfolded the page.

My darling Beth,

I hope this letter finds you well, and that you are thinking of me as I am thinking of you. My heart aches with your absence. If I am kept from you much longer, I am certain I'll go mad. Already matters appear bleak for us, love, as my father has revealed to me that his health will not permit him to rule much longer. I am to ascend the throne as soon as I am married to the princess. Not to fear, as I am completely devoted to you. I will find a way to be with you, somehow. If I must take drastic measures, I will. I know I do not belong here, and have always felt strongly of the fact. You have confirmed it even more, and have given me the courage to resist what has been decided for me. I hope to hear from you soon, darling.

Yours,
Tom

Beth smiled sadly, holding the letter to her heart as she finished, careful not to crinkle her newly most prized possession. She laid it on the table, smoothing it gingerly against the worn wood. She raced to the other room, rummaging through a trunk. Harrison stole a glance at the letter, horrified at the news of King Dominic's health and the newfound urgency of the situation. He tried to compose himself as she returned, swallowing his deep concerns.

"I'll keep it in here and hide it in the floorboard under my bed. What do you think?" She grinned as she folded the letter into a somewhat large, plain wooden box with a small floral carving on the lid in the upper left corner, stretching over the top.

"That'll do. Good day, Beth." He quickly rose from his seat, anxious to get out of there in enough time to smack Tom across the face before he needed to attend his duties. That is, if only he could smack Tom across the face.

"Wait! I haven't written my letter yet."

"Wha—why not?"

"How am I to respond to a letter I hadn't yet received? Now that I have, I may respond to it." She replied smartly.

"Make it quick, I haven't got much time." Harrison leaned against the doorframe, picking at his nails.

Beth settled, and after a few moments had written her loving reply. "Oh! I don't have an envelope—" She whined, knowing she could never compete to the high-end presentation of Tom's letter.

"Never mind the envelope. I must get back. Take care." Harrison took the letter, and bolted out of the cottage, his eyes ablaze with a fear that Beth knew she would never understand. She couldn't possibly fathom how dire things had become for him and Tom's family, not to mention their romance.

As Harrison raced back, he wrestled with how to act, burdened by this new information. He never imagined Tom having to ascend so quickly. All the time he had planned for the trivial matter of romance was gone now. It had to be nipped in the bud, and it pained him. In the coming days, he had watched his friend in his strange, unnatural state: blissful in the morning after his ride to suddenly so numb, staring at nothing and laughing at random to mask his misery.

What was he to do? He had no one to ask for help; it was all on him. Steadying his horse's pace, he reached for the letter, hoping to find something in it to keep him from giving up. He knew without his help they would fail, and he couldn't bear the possibility of that. He knew Tom might become despondent, throwing himself into a life he hated, inconsolable.

He couldn't help thinking back on the times of their carefree childhood together. It was like opening up an old, forgotten scrapbook. He remembered Tom's family and their kindness, allowing him to stay in the palace after his father, the Captain of the Guard then, was killed in battle. He was orphaned, but never alone. He always had Tom by his side, like a brother. He was always treated like a son of the king, and the news of his declining health weighed heavy on his heart.

He scrambled as he tried unfolding the letter, his fingers suddenly weak with grief. He was almost blinded by tears, wiping them away vigorously as to not smudge the ink in the page. He read slowly, taking in each word, one at a time.

My dearest Tom,

I am well, and you have never left my mind since you left me. Since I met you, I often lie awake, wondering if you are lying awake, and what you think about. I am taken by how devoted you are to me, as well as frightened. It would seem I can only live either altogether with you or not at all. This cruel in between will be the death of me. Barely weeks ago I thought I loved you, but since I found out who you really were I feel I love you a thousand times more. Not because you're a prince, of course, but because of how determined you are to love me. Your confidence scares me, but I promise to love you even if it costs me.

All my love,
Beth

Even if it costs her, he thought. He has known Tom his whole life, but somehow wasn't as willing to love him as much as she has in their short time together. It almost shamed him. Hard as it was, he decided he would stick this out, no matter what it cost him. He would stand by Tom, for the moment he is crowned, he would die. He would still have air in his lungs, but he would no longer be living. Harrison wasn't sure of what he could do, but he would do all he could for his friend. His brother.