Blood or Bond

The home shook slightly as a young and strapping, but not so little, Tom slammed the door on his way in. His aggressive entrance starkly contrasted with his gloomy face welling up with tears. Beth turned abruptly at the noise, putting down the spoon and bowl she was mixing batter in. She gasped quietly before going over to him, concerned, but also careful. He was getting older, and she didn't want to baby him too much. He had complained before about being treated like a child, which he was, but of course he didn't see it that way. No teenager did.

"What's the matter, Tom?" She asked, the angelic sound of her voice floating out like a falling rose petal.

"Nothing, mum. It doesn't matter." He turned from her attempting to hide his face, but didn't move away.

"Is there anything I can do to make it better?" She smiled softly, rubbing his shoulder. He flinched, as it was tender, and he knew he gave himself away. Beth leaned closer, trying to get a better look.

He suddenly jerked back to look at her, holding his arm, his trembling saucers filled with doubt and almost fear. "Mum—"
He pondered a moment. "No never mind—"

"What, darling?" She inched closer to him and put her hand to his cheek, pushing back his hair a bit.

"It's nothing. Just some boys." He said sadly, fighting back a sniffle.

"Tell me."

"I—it's just awful rubbish mum—"

At that moment Harrison burst through the door, just like Tom had, but much more angry. The door kept swinging and the hinges screeched as their other children, a daughter and son, named Emily and Sebastian, or Em and Bash for short, followed behind Harrison. All three of them were fuming, fists and teeth clenched and ready for a rumble. "Beth I need to talk to you. Stay in here, children."

Harrison led her into their bedroom, leaving the kids in the other room, grumbling. Beth was unsure of what to do with all of the anger, except wonder if she should be angry herself. "What's going on, Harrison? Did something happen—why do the children suddenly look like they are out for carnage—"

"Some bullshit that's what happened." He spat.

"Harrison." She scolded him.

"You know 'nice-old-Ripley' who lives down the lane," Harrison growled, marinating in sarcasm. "Well he and his posse strolled up to Tom going on and on about how he doesn't—ugh—that he doesn't look like me or his brother or sister—"

"Are you serious?" Beth gasped shrilly.

"Yeah, and according to them and their parents, you're a whore and Tom's your whore-son. Such a nice kid that Ripley—"

"Well I—ooooh!" Beth tried to stay mild, but she was blazing hot and it was only getting worse as each second went by. She wanted nothing more than to grab a rolling pin and march up to their home for a little chat. She soon thought better of it, not because it wasn't the right way to handle things but rather because she was fond of her rolling pin. "How long has this rumor been spreading?"

"I haven't a clue." Harrison shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets. He stared at the ground. "If only..." He thought aloud.

"If only what? If only they knew he was royalty?" She scoffed prettily, crossing her arms and gazing out the window towards Ripley's home.

"If only he knew." Harrison looked up from the ground and back at her with his startling, bright eyes. "Beth...you know we could..."

She waited for him to finish, but soon realized he never would. His pride wouldn't allow it. "Harrison, you hate Tom's family. I'm surprised you'd consider such a thing."

"Was I wrong all those years ago Beth? Was it wrong for me to take him away from them?" He looked at her, his brow furrowing deeply and his lips straight and dry.

"Of course not." She replied, still staring out the window. "Tom is ours. They have no right to him."

Harrison went over to her, sliding his arms around her waist. "In our hearts, yes, but by blood—"

She broke away from him. "Blood is nothing to me, Harrison. Our bonds hold much more importance than any kind of blood. Blood was designed to keep Tom and I apart—you and I apart! At the end of the day blood is either flowing through your veins or out of you! As long as I live I will refuse them. They will never have so much as a glimpse of our Tom."

"You know I will always stand by you, love." Harrison smiled softly in attempt to ease her. "But, it would be a shame for him to never know of the man from whence he came."

"He's not ready." The words hastily escaped from her mouth.

"My love, I think it's you that's not quite ready—"

"It gets harder as the years go by—" Her voice broke, feeling the age it hadn't felt before that moment. "Sixteen years—sixteen wonderful years—but it's like seeing a ghost—"

"I know, darling." He held her as she wept into his chest.

"He's mine—he's my son—I won't let them take him away—" She clutched Harrison's shirt with a desperate grip.

"I'm so sorry, love. Forgive me." He consoled her, stroking her hair. "I vow, he will remain here with us. He will never know of the hell across the sea."