Missing

"We can't—" Beth laughed as Tom nuzzled into her, spoiling her with kisses.

"Yes!" Tom grinned mischievously, taking her in his arms and burying his face in the crook of her neck.

"Absolutely not—don't even think about it!" Beth pushed Tom off of her playfully. He fell over to his side of the bed, faking a whine.

"Why not?"

"I don't see how you have the energy!"

Tom laughed, sitting up to look at her. Her hair framed her face messily, draping over the pillow she was lying on. The lantern had burned out hours ago, but the moonlight from the window lit her face well. He stroked her cheek, admiring her twinkling eyes. He leaned down and pecked her lips, grinning. "Again."

She snorted, having been pulled out of their quiet moment. "Christ, Tom!"

He started rubbing her up and down shortly before throwing her legs out of his way. "I can't help it, darling. You're so beautiful..." He kissed her passionately, leaning into her. "I love you. Now that I know how to make love to you, I don't intend on stopping—"

Suddenly the front door swung open, causing them both to jump. Tom gasped, whipping his head around. Slight relief washed over him as he saw Harrison. His face was panicked, his entire demeanor stiff and hasty. "Tom we have to go—now!"

"What—"

"Get up, get dressed—"

"Haz, what's happened?" Tom asked, startled and confused. Beth covered herself with a quilt, embarrassed as well as fearful.

"You were sent for—there was an emergency with your father—but you were missing—and now they have everyone looking for you—"

Tom shot up, scrambling for his clothes. "My father—is he alright?"

"He's stable now, they think his heart may of—stopped or something—" Harrison gripped a handful of his hair, trying to settle his shaky breathing.

"But he's alive?" Tom asked severely, pulling on his shirt.

"Yes, but now you've got to come up with a remarkably good story—"

"Good God—" Tom pulled on his boots, sitting on the bed next to Beth, who was petrified. She clung to the quilt, trembling. Tom took her in his arms, leaving his boots unlaced. She buried her face in his chest, hearing his quickened heartbeat.

"Tom you have to go—" She tried to pull away from him but he wouldn't let go.

"No—just a few more seconds." He held her tightly, kissing her face. "I hate leaving you."

Harrison was growing impatient. "Tom! We have to go now!" He ripped Tom out of his embrace and shoved him toward the door, forcing him out.

Beth watched them leave in utter sorrow. She clutched the ring around her neck, sobbing. Her little cottage seemed so much darker now that he was gone. She shuddered as cruel thoughts entered her mind: What if Harrison hadn't gotten to them in time? If someone were to find out, what would become of Tom? She had never thought about it before with her own looming risks being at the forefront of her mind.

She wondered in that moment what it might be like: the coarseness of the rope squeezing every ounce of air out of her, her neck snapping as she fell, and the way her feet might dangle over the open trap door. Restless, she began pacing. Shaking away the morbid thoughts of death and despair, she let her mind wander back to more beautiful thoughts. Her knees grew weak thinking about her tumble under the sheets with the charmingly inexperienced prince. She scrunched her nose in zeal, glad to not only be be rid of her virtue finally, but more importantly the rare connection she felt. Never in her life did she believe it was possible to feel this kind of perpetual bliss. There was even a type of joy she felt while missing him. She floated through her days, singing through her chores and enjoyed her nighttime hobbies with a newfound drive. Being alone for so long lowered her spirits more than she realized, and she was never going back to that way of life.