chapter 3

Hauwa's POV

As I walked away, I noticed Yasmine staring into space with a scowl on her face and I couldn't help but gain pleasure from her sadness.

We both knew what it meant when Abba called.

The last time he did, Halimatu was forced to marry his colleague but Allahamdilliah for her he was just older than her with five years.

I stole a glance at Yasmine as her face twisted in disarray.

Ya Allah, how can someone be so beautiful, I hate this girl but Ma Sha Allah.

Her eyes were bulgy with soft chocolate brown pupils and her lashes were long, curled to perfection.

she was an epitome of beauty.

How in Jahanam(hell) did I look like I was punched ten times before I was born?

Our gene pool should be similar.

We share the same dad for God's sake!

She wasn't going to ruin my day, Hell she wasn't going to ruin my life but I'll ruin her life slowly, deadly, until she's married to one old kaka(grand pa).

Someone that seniors her with at least 60 years.

''Poor Yasmine naive and oblivious,'' I mumbled sarcastically to myself.

_________

Yasmine's POV

My hair tangled almost immediately as I dragged the wooden afro comb through my scalp.

I winced painfully at the sharp contrast between my hair and the comb.

It was long, curly, full and soft.

''Fulani hair,'' Ammi called it.

I smiled through the reverie as I tied my scarf on my head, swiping a toothbrush in edge control while styling the fragments of my front hair.

''Fine girl come into my yard, omo to fine to bad'' I sang along to tungba by ajebutter and BOJ as it blared loudly from my airpods, smiling cheekily at my reflection.

Ammi always said a girl that didn't know she was pretty was the prettiest of them all.

I let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding as I stared at my reflection.

she was me and I was her, we were one.

I had less than a week to end secondary school and I was over the moon.

Ammi would be so proud.

''Yasmine come down now or we are going without you,'' Hauwa shouted as I applied lip gloss and kohl to my lips.

''Yasmine,'' she called again angrily.

''I'm coming,'' I murmured to my reflection as I sprinted out of my room into the parlour.

''Aren't you suppose to fast today?'' Hajiya Mahmoud asked as she followed my gaze to the masa,awara and fruits that decorated the dinning table.

''I just came to check if Hauwa was in here,'' I lied blatantly as my stomach grumbled loudly.

''Are you sure dear?'' she asked with a smile so fake you could see through it.

Something was really off!

I looked over her shoulders and saw Abba sitting animatedly while flipping through his newspaper.

No wonder she was pretending.

''Are you sure dear?'' she pressed on with a saccharine smile plastered on her face.

''It's alright Hajiya,'' I answered as her face twisted in annoyance.

''How many times have I told you, Yasi dear, to call me mommy and if it's too much aunty?'' she asked touching my cheeks.

Wait a minute, who the hell is Yasi dear?

If only Abba could see through her façade I thought as I flinched away from her touch.

"Zan je makaranta, si anjuma Abba(I'm going to school, good bye baba)" I said kneeling down to say goodbye as I hurried down the stairs not waiting for a response.

''Finally!'' Hauwa grunted as I entered the car.

''Nakwa na uncle daud( Good morning uncle daud) '' I greeted as Hauwa rolled her eyes.

''You're not related so how is he your uncle?'' she asked facepalming herself.

It was something Ammi taught me, it was respect to call an older person that especially those close to us

But Hauwa wasn't going to have any of that.

I watched as we manoeuvered the busy streets of Lagos as the trees turned into blurs of green.

''Just great,'' Hauwa bellowed, infiltrating my train of thoughts.

why was she so upset?

I stared out the window to see the traffic jam and sighed deeply, knowing what was in store for us.

________

How's the book so far???
Let's experience highschool through these children's eyes😅

Do you think Abba knows what Hajiya Mahmoud does to Yasmine?

Pls vote and comment💗💗💗

Share