Terror Town

Chapter 7-Terror Town

Not much happens in Gotham city when criminals are locked away, but that's only when the criminals are locked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lately, there have been many reports of several criminals escaping from Arkham Asylum and Black Gate. If you see anyone suspicious please call the number below or 911."

Sara turns off the news feed. She had came back to the cave under Batman's orders after a few weeks by herself. But found nothing had changed. He still sulked as he worked and participated in little to no conversations with her. All he demanded from Sara was her attention and obedience. Test after test he performed under the assumption he could find an answer to all his questions. But after hours of endless running, dizzying blood samples, and countless hours of waiting he came up with nothing. In the end he returned to his brooding hoping to find another solution.

"So what do we know so far, Batman?"

He sighs rubbing between his eyes. Never taking off his mask. "So far we know someone hiring Gotham criminals to kidnap children who were experimented on by your parents." He clears his throat. "We also know they are all like you, people with possible abilities induced and activated only by a massive amount of stress. Who ever is behind this is smart. He never gives up too much information. Bane would not tell and Joker is...Joker." Silence.

"Batman, what could cause a great amount of stress?"

A long pause. "A near death experience."

Silence.

"Nothing else?"

"Nothing else."

She did not know if it was out of her desperation for an answer or out of insanity that she she dared to even utter her next words. "How would we do that?"

Batman did not respond.

"Batman."

"We don't, Sara."

"What other choice do we have?"

"We have many choices. We just need time."

"Batman, we are running out of time. Someone out there is obviously looking for people like me. What if they find me before we find an answer? I'll end up like Bobby!" Silence. Heavy air hung between them. "Batman, please. I want this to end just as much as you do. I want answers too, but I need your help here. Please."

"I-" The monitors flash blue and white spewing information and binary codes as an alarm sounded. "Scarecrow's out." Batman glides to his car.

"Wait, let me come with you!"

"No, you wait here. It's too dangerous."

"But, maybe we can finally figure a way to trigger my abilities."

"I said no, Sara." He speeds off leaving behind only dust. Sara kicks the ground frustrated to once again be left behind. Batman had made sure no vehicle was left out this time leaving Sara all alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Somewhere in Gotham High is a kid who's popular with all the girls, smart, athletic (but dosen't show it), and a certain teen hero in disguise. Tim Drake, high school peace keeper by day and Boy Wonder by night. But today seemed to be an off day for him. He forgot about the Physics test, his girlfriend (Stephenie brown a.k.a the Spoiler) broke up with him again, and lately Batman seemed more distant that usual like he was hiding something.

RIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

School's out. He takes the main streets, out in the open, when his phone rings. A joyous tune for his more ambitious side, but not for his conventional front. He answers the call.

"Robin, Scarecrow's on the loose."

"Got it. I'll come to you."

"By the way, if you meet someone in the cave be sure she stays there."

"Someone? In the cave? She?!" Batman had cut off communication. Tim frowns as he looked at his phone. Shaking his head as he disappears into a back alley way where a certain rich billionaire installed a false wall to a private cache.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Determined, Sara stood before the elevator door like it was some sort of force opposing her. Batman had warned her once before of the severe consequences she would suffer if she ever decided to ascend to wherever the elevator would take her without his permission. But she felt anxious. Her blood boiled for answers she desperately wanted to know.

Beep.

The elevator door slides open, revealing a cylindrical pod emitting a blue light. She steps in tentatively and the door hisses to a close behind her. Though the ride only took a few seconds it felt like an eternity before the doors opened again to a small dark room empty except for a door on the far side. She opens it. Nothing came close to what she had imagined it to be. Nothing at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Batman flew through the clouds in his Bat-Plane. Below, he could see the city. His city.

Gotham taunted her dark silhouette inviting the evil in with her sweet temptations.

Dr. Jonathan Crane stood upon Trinity Bridge cackling, a victim to then darkness of Gotham.

"AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Hello, Gotham, welcome to Terror Town, my kind of crazy!" He tosses several round grenade like objects to the cars below. People screamed as each grenade exploded with a loud burst releasing a greenish gas into the air. Those unfortunately caught in the gas began screaming with an unknown terror, tearing away at their own faces until some had nothing left to tear at. Scarecrow roars with laughter as he dances and inspects the chaos below. "Gotham is mine! Everyone shall know fear, and fear the Scarecrow!"

Batman swings from the jet landing a few feet behind Scarecrow. "No one's scared of you Scarecrow."

"Oh? That's not what everyone else is saying." He cranes his neck out listening to the screams below as he cackled. "Behold, Batman, Gotham shall fall to my hands." He throws a gas bomb at Batman who blocks it with his cape and pulls out his gas mask. Robin comes in with a swing of his pole at Scarecrow's leg. Scarecrow tumbles only to retaliate by throwing a few small pumpkin-shaped explosives at Robin's face. Robin rolls away just in time to hear them explode on vacant cars below.

Unfortunately, Batman had not known Sara had already made her way onto Trinity Bridge, weaving through a multitude of abandoned cars. Little did she know of the gas Scarecrow had released onto the masses still lingered in the air like a fog, that her mind was already affected.