Chaos and Calamity

Chapter 15 - Chaos and Calamity

It wasn't hard to imagine. Gotham in a state of desperation. People running over each other to preserve their lives for what little more time they have. Death roaming the streets casually as if it were another citizen of Gotham. It was splendid.

Lex watches the city from his hotel window while listening to the news. He could hear the sirens from streets below, blaring as they passed. He smiled.contently. His bodyguard, Mercy enters. "Mr. Luthor, there's a guest for you."

"Let him in."

Mercy moves aside letting Aden through the door. He still wore his uniform from school finding no time to change beforehand.

"Welcome, Aden, It's finally nice to meet you in person. The phone calls were becoming...tedious." Aden gives a bored sideways glance. To him Lex was like any other money-grabbing- rich man willing to do anything for fame and fortune.

"It seems we have come across a slight problem. It's nothing I can't solve. You'll have your package soon."

"I'm getting tired of waiting Aden. If can't get the job done properly then I'll take care of it myself."

"Don't worry. It's being taken care of. I've sent out my best people."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sara ran as quickly as she could to Wayne manor. She hid herself within the large crowd of early risers dragging themselves to work. To them she was just another abandoned child in Gotham with her dirty tattered clothing. But to the men in black suits and sunglasses she was a target. Sara gasps at the sight of them and ducks into an alleyway where a group of punk kids who were skipping school hung out smoking hand rolled cigarettes. They give her an unpleasant look. Behind her the men in suits spot Sara. they run after her. Sara pretends she didn't see and walks towards the group of delinquents.

"Hey girly!" One of them spits angrily. "You know whose territory you walkin' on?!" Sara ignores him. One of the gang members roughly grabs Sara by the arm and pulls her towards him. Sara flinches. A bullet flies through the air and passes through his head painting pieces of brain and skull onto the shirts of the other delinquents and the now red bricks of old buildings.

Shock.

Fear.

They were all there in the faces of children.

One of them snapped out of it and seethed with anger, screaming as he pulled out his pocket knife and lunged mindlessly at the shooter, a man in a black suit grabbing at Sara.

"You stupid bastard!" He screams through tears. "You damn son of a bitch! You killed my brother!" He swipes at the men several times. But one of them gets the upper hand, literally, and backhands him across the face. Teeth go flying. The several other delinquents followed suit bursting with anger as they pulled out or grabbed whatever weapons they laid their hands on. Shouting, they lunged for the men in suits, who were clearly out numbered. Thus begins a struggle. Sara runs. Chest puffing and breath huffing she practically sprinted for the streets again. Within the crowd of Gothamites Sara weaved around their bodies compacted together like dirt beneath their shoes. Once again her path was for Wayne Manor.

It took a while to make it up the hill to Bruce's mansion. By the end of the trip her legs were sore and achy making her hope to god Alfred was home, which he was.

"Miss?" Sara pauses.

She had expected the voice of a tired old man, but instead it was the sound of a young girl. She turns to look behind her. Two kids, a boy and girl, with the exact same face and icy blue eyes stare curiously at her. They weren't that much younger than her but had to be somewhere around twelve or thirteen.