Streets of Bludhaven

Chapter 5-Streets of Bludhaven

"Is it done?"

"Yes, Sir. But, it seems Joker has failed"

"I see then it's best we move on to plan B."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sara laid in her new bed in an apartment room of the Clock Tower Apartment Complex. It was simply furnished with plain manila colored walls. The shelves were stocked, and her personal things, that weren't taken by the police, were put away.

She had gotten over her uncle's death. Not that they were close to begin with. It had been a week since she stayed in Batman's Bat cave. Over the days he taught her hand-to-hand combat and weapons usage just in case anyone found her.

After one of her training sessions (she couldn't tell how many days it had been because she was underground) she decided to ask about her past.

"Batman, how did you know about my parents, and me?"

"Joker had a file on you."

"Well, what did it say?"

Batman looked at Sara through his visor contemplating the possible outcomes of saying too much. "It was information on your experiments. It said your parents were the scientists in charge of the whole operation."

"I see. Did it say anything else? Like, what it was they were working on exactly?"

Batman frowns, "It's better if I know everything first."

"Can I at least know what my powers are?"

"Powers?"

"Yeah, you said if I was stressed or something the 'effects' would surface. That means I have powers right?"

"Maybe. Not exactly. Like I said, I have to make sure."

"Hey Batman!" Sara was surprised to see a large head pop up on Batman's screen. He smiled, unlike Batman, and wore a mask that covered only his eyes and the area around it. His voice seemed smooth, like that of a man who knew how to charm a woman off her feet. Sara found him attractive even with his masked face and did not realize she stood beside Batman staring with a certain interest that made Batman uncomfortable. "Oh, I...uh...didn't know she was there with you." The surprise on his face was obvious.

"What do you want, Nightwing?"

"I've got a problem here in Bludhaven. Bane's here and he caused quite the trouble. I know you've been looking for him so I thought I'd give you a heads up. But there's something strange about him, Batman."

"What is it?"

"He kidnapped a kid right off the street. Bobby Thomas No one knows why, and from what I've gathered about this kid he seems ordinary, though he was adopted. His real parents didn't want him and left him on church steps. That's the only thing I could find that was strange. If you could call that strange in Bludhaven."

Batman was moving long before Nightwing had finished. He revved up the engines to his car then looked at Sara. "You're staying here," he said with a commanding tone, no debates.

"Why can't I come with you?"

"It's too risky. I can't allow it. You can watch for anything on the screens and inform me if anything happens. Everything is set up already." Batman speeds away leaving Sara alone with Nightwing.

"Don't worry," Nightwing says reassuringly smiling at the lonely Sara, "he's always like that. I have to go. You know, the whole fighting crime and all." He smiles again then disappears from the screen leaving only flashing images of Bludhaven.

"Keep watch...right." Sara observed each frame carefully until she spotted Bane, a large man stampeding through the city streets at night. "Batman!" She called on the com-link excitedly, "I see him, he's in an alley way on...49th street."

"I got it. Stand by, Sara. Nightwing, did you get that?"

"Got it, I'm on the way."

It didn't take long for Nightwing to get there. 49th street was in the middle of all the filth in Bludhaven, where everything takes place. The back alley, it was convenient, spacious and dark. But no one was there. The back ally was empty apart from the scattered trash and few back alley rats. A lingering stench made Nightwing cringe his nose a little. "Where is he?"

"Batman! Didn't know you were here, not that I ever do. I don't know, but-"

"I wasn't asking you. Sara, do you see him?"

"No, but he was there that's for sure."

Batman scans the area switching to night-vision, walking around looking for clues no one else could ever see. "Here," he points at the old stained cement. Scuff marks from he trash bin being moved around too much. Nightwing smiles triumphantly as he helped Batman move away the bin revealing a large hole in the cement, one large enough for a man like Bane. "Lets go."

"Got him." They descend into the darkness looking into the black distance. the silence was deafening to Sara.There was no life on the screens. Only blank streets and dim lights.

"Batman? Nightwing?" There came no answer, just the constant buzzing of feedback.