Encounter

Chapter 12-Encounter

Nightwing heard it over the police radio. Bruce receives a warning to his cellphone. Tim gets a call from Barbara Gordon, the first Batgirl now known as Oracle. Sara woke to a creak in the floor boards. A distant shuffle behind closed doors. Then a click. Immediately Sara throws the covers from her running to the nearest window when the door caved in and two men stepped through. Two big men with guns in their hands. Sara climbs out onto the ledge. Both men run up to the window and reach over the pane. They grabbed at nothing but air as Sara shuffled away along the wall. She watches as the men try climbing out, but their over-sized bodies made it difficult, instead they stumble back in. One of them runs for the next apartment while the other one stood shouting at Sara attempting to get on the ledge every once in a while.

Sara is panicking. Batman never prepared her for this. Below her were four other floors. Too far to attempt a jump. The man at the window pulls out his gun firing a shot into the air making Sara flinch and lose her footing slipping off the ledge. She manages to grab it before falling to her death, or a night of excruciating pain.

Now the two men panic. They shout at each other while slowly and hesitantly stepping out onto the ledge. Whoever hired them wanted her alive. Sara looks down feeling as if the ground was pulling away. She struggles to hold on, beneath her past the sidewalk she spots a street light with a hooked top. Directly below her was another ledge.

She gets an Idea.

Sara swings forward slightly, then lets go landing on the ledge below her. Immediately back flips while twisting her body sideways and manages to grab the street light with one hand. Her body swings upward. She lets go, flips forward, then does a barrel roll on the sidewalk. Something she learned from Nightwing. Behind her one of the men had reached for her arm as she fell and lost his footing. He had fallen and landed with a sickening thud. The other one stood in shock and refused to move more than an inch at a time. This gave Sara time. She runs down the empty streets heading for Wayne Manor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bruce tried to excuse himself from the party, but it took fifteen minutes just to get to the door. Bruce proceeded to his car where Alfred waited.

"Where do you wish to go Young Master?"

"Get to the asylum. I'll change on the way there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nightwing was roof jumping when Robin came up from behind.

"Oracle told me what happened."

"Yeah, I heard it over the police scanner. They said it was an earthquake or something."

"Well, only one way to find out."

Robin swings from the roof laughing like the little boy he was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sara reached Wayne Manor exhausted. The humid night did not treat her travel here well. She travels to the back gate where a small hole was made blocked by shrubbery. She was about to climb through when all of a sudden something struck in the stomach, something hard and rocky. It knocked her back forcing the air from her lungs. A strange dark figure steps from the trees. To Sara he looked like a homeless man. His eyes were sad and lonely, desperate for something he thought he could never have.

Peace.

"Who are you?" Sara stands ready to fight.

He looks at himself, his hands, and at Sara then responded, "I don't know."