The Past

Chapter 20 - The Past

Aden's P.O.V

It wasn't strange for them to adopt me first. After all everyone always said I was the cutest. The most adorable. The most innocent. I was after all only a small child when they took me away from that hell hole they called an orphanage.

Strangely enough I remembered this.

There were others when they put me in the van. Four others. Three boys. One girl.

The oldest they called Max. Only seven at the time. He was quiet. Never spoke, not even when people asked him his name.

The second oldest was Bobby He was 4. He started off timid but over time he'd become rowdy, energetic, agitating.

Then there were the twins, age 1. They too were quiet but it wasn't like they could talk much anyways.

My adoptive parents, Henry and Olivia, treated me well. They were kind to me when they first took me away. They told me I was a very special person. That we all were.

I first met her when they brought us home. Sara. She was 3. I remember the agony of abandonment when she saw us. It was in her eyes. She ran away and cried for most of the day, but came out in the evening during dinner when her mother called for her. She sat between her parents, timid and somewhat frightened at our presence. One by one her parents introduced us to her saying our names as if we were going to be great friends for the rest of our lives.

I kind of regret we weren't.

It didn't take long for Sara to get used to us. In the mornings we would go to daycare together while Max went to school. Since I was the same age as Sara I spent the most time with her.

She was reserved. Playing with others was difficult resulting in constant solitude when recess came. She loved books favoring the ones with more text than picture. She didn't like crowds. In fact she'd often get lost in the chaos. That's where I come in. I'd take her by the hand and lead her away. We became close this way. To her I was the only friend she had in the outside world. And I liked that.

At the age of four I began to develop small headaches that left me bedridden throughout the day. I would become easily agitated, though Sara would comfort me in those time when no one else could. My body would feel heavy sometimes as if I carried large weights upon my little shoulder. At night the darkness engulfed me entirely and left no trace of the outside world. But I soon found out why.

One night I couldn't sleep. Everything seemed darker than usual and I felt afraid. As I laid in bed trying to shut out the darkness around me I hear the door open. In walks Henry and Olivia. One by one they went up to each of our beds and stuck a needle in our arms injecting some sort of liquid into us. Then they'd leave. I didn't move. Being only four I didn't fully understand. I could only wait for them to explain.

As far as I could tell they only did this once a week. The other nights would be filled with good night kisses and lullabies. But on those nights Max wouldn't stay in bed like the other good children. He'd sneak off into the pitch black darkness of the night and not return for hours. How do I know this? Because there are nights where my own darkness made me cold and weary of sleep. On these nights my mind would be wrecked with restlessness and pain making my body burn, sting, and heavy. Sara saw this and in her natural kind hearted ways she stayed by my side on such torturous nights, and my darkness would fade and be filled with light. This was a happiness I wanted to keep to myself.

Unfortunately it was taken from me.

Sara often felt lonely wishing for the love her parents once gave. She participated in activities with the rest of the family happily, but at night she became lonely often waking up and sitting there in the darkness. She was like me. Understanding things before anyone else did.