The End

Chapter 21-The end

The van flipped several times. Each time Sara hit the van wall, slammed her head in a life threatening way, or broke a bone here and there. Even the pole that she trusted to save her life with had gone and stabbed her through the leg causing an agonizing scream to escape her lungs. Totaled and broken beyond repair the van came to a slow halting roll. Sara managed a painful crawl as she pushed open what remained of the back doors. The grinding sound of metal hurt her ringing ears. Her legs were once again immobile, one bleeding out. Sara coughs out blood. Her lungs were damaged.

The sun was setting and she was running out of time.

Through the endless suffering she dragged herself out of the overturned van as far as she could. Screaming with each movement, feeling a series of shocks through every muscle and limb. Desperately, she held on to her life with every intention of living her life. I have the chance now. I want to go back to everyone. Nightwing. Robin. Batman. Oracle. I want to go home. Max. I want to see Max again. She cried hopelessly before she had nothing left in her and dropped from exhaustion.

Sara felt the setting sun on her skin, a comforting warmth as it lifted her unimaginable pain. Again her bruises faded like snow. Her broken bones were set back making her body numb. But the sun had betrayed her. It went away to find its own peace leaving Sara to suffer whatever business it had left undone. Sara's leg for instance had not closed and healed all the way. It bled out still and the bone was still fractured from where the pipe had pierced it. Internal bleeding was still a strong possibility as several areas of an unearthly color began to form.

"I see you've began to experience it too. The power." Aden. He emerged as a shadow before her eyes from the darkness, like a demon putting on human skin to appear normal. His eyes were the last to form, that icy blue that pierces souls. Aden approaches slowly as Sara attempted to stand. She falls as her legs seemingly crumble under pressure. "Do you see it now? What I've been trying to build up to all this time?"

"No. What you've been doing is manipulating people, using them, and murdering innocents to get whatever the hell it is we have in us."

"What we have in us is power! The power to rule over the world. to control those who would dare hurt us. Those who would dare tear us apart!"

"Tear us apart?! We were children Aden! Children! we barely knew each other!" Sara tries to stand. She manages an awkward but upright position where her feet turned at strange angles. she breathes heavily while getting her act together, touching the watch on her wrist.

"So you remember."

"I've always remembered, Aden. I just chose to put in the back of my mind where I would never have to see them again. I managed to suppress them for so long, all that suffering. Why did you have to bring it back?"

"Because I wanted for us to be together again!" Aden's eyes become a sad glistening blue as he steps forward with his arms reaching out as if he half expected Sara to run to him. But he backs off.

"So why the need for a machine to control us and wipe us of our freedom. Why try to make us lifeless dolls? What that the family you were looking for?!"

"You weren't going to listen to me. I had to have you no matter what." Darkness gathered like a mass at Aden's hand till they were nothing short of bowling balls of swirling dark energy. "We'll be together again." He thrusts his hands forward sending the dark mass flying towards her face. Sara lifts her arms in defense falling back down to her knees with her body crouched over. A loud strike hits the ground before her making the world shake and the wind rushing past her. She looks up to find her suit of armour standing before her like a guardian angel.