xxii. the rest just fades away

THE CRIES OF a child are the first thing Cullen hears when she wakes up

THE CRIES OF a child are the first thing Cullen hears when she wakes up. For a moment she believes she's dreaming, it wouldn't be the first time she had dreamt of a crying child, but the warm breath on the back of her neck makes her remember where she is and for a moment she smiles. Smiles because she remembers she's with her daughter and with Klaus, and for once they were a family.

Pulling herself out of bed, she quickly throws a rob on before walking into Hope's room. "Good morning, sweetie." Cullen coos as she picks up her daughter. "Mama's here." Almost instantly Hope stops crying. Cullen rocks her for a minute before carrying her back into the room her and Klaus had shared. Sitting down with her on the bed Cullen holds her up on her knees, twisting Hope around, making her giggle. "You're gonna wake up daddy, Hope."

"She already did." A low voice states causing Cullen to glance down to see Klaus looking at her. He sits up against the headboard, taking Hope from Cullen. "What do you think, Hope? You think Auntie Rebekah made it out okay?"

Speaking of Rebekah, Cullen reaches across the bed, grabbing her phone. Her eyes widen when she reads her messages. While they had gotten Esther locked up, Rebekah had been placed into another body and Finn and Mikael were on the loose. Klaus leans forward, trying to read Cullen's phone before giving up and placing a kiss on her neck. "Good news or bad news?"

Cullen stretches her neck slightly giving Klaus more room before sighing, knowing the minute she told him what had happened their peaceful morning would be over. "Bad news." Klaus pulls away from her, both of them sharing a grim look. The sudden laughter from their daughter distracts them though until Cullen's phone pings again letting her know she had received another message. She reads over it before getting up. "C'mon. We have to get dressed. Elijah's coming back and he's bringing Hayley." The two supernatural beings dress quickly, giving them more time to play with Hope.

"They're here." Klaus mutters suddenly, he must have heard the car pull up.

"You ready, Hope?" Cullen questions, bouncing the child on her hip as they walk downstairs. "Aunt Hayley is very fun."

"Stay here for a moment." Klaus instructs, leaving Cullen to stand by the window while he goes outside to meet Hayley and Elijah. Using her supernatural hearing Cullen listens to their conversation. "Hayley." Klaus greets. "I hope you understand, that once you leave here, this secret cannot leave with you." Hayley is hesitant for a moment, glancing between Klaus and Elijah before she finally nods. "I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our family. The little troublemaker all the fuss has been about." Taking that as her cue, Cullen walks out, watching a look of confusion and amazement cross over Hayley's face. "Hayley, this is Hope."

"Oh, my god." Hayley breathes out. "But-- You said-- I thought she was--"

"The only way to truly protect her was to convince the world of her death." Klaus explains. Hayley smiles, walking towards Cullen and Hope. When she reaches them she bends down to Hope's level, the child grabbing ahold of her finger.