xx. restraint is a funny thing

A NIGHT AND day had passed since Klaus saw his father

A NIGHT AND day had passed since Klaus saw his father. In this time they were able to get Elijah back and wake him up from the tortuous slumped Esther had placed him under. While he seemed back to his normal self Cullen could feel the darkness lingering on him. Along with news of Elijah's return came the news of Ansel's death. Klaus had told Cullen what happened, that Ansel knew Hope was still alive. Klaus said that he wanted to trust his father, but he couldn't risk it. While Cullen understood she still felt bad for Klaus, so when he asked if she would help convince his brothers to come to their side she agreed.

"Today, a new future awaits." Klaus begins as him, Cullen, and Elijah take their seats at the dinner table. "Forget your animosity toward Elijah and myself. Instead, join us against she who truly deserves your ire-- our mother. Do this, and we will welcome you with open arms.

"If all you wanted was my allegiance against Mother Dearest, you should have said so. Save me a night shackled to the wall." Kol, in the teenage boys body Cullen had met at Davina's cabin exclaims.

"Yes, this was Niklaus. My recommendation was to remove your limbs, one by one, until you comply." Elijah speaks up causing Cullen and Klaus to glance at one another. Something was still definitely wrong with Elijah.

Klaus laughs, a deception. "We've--we've no desire to torture you. Provided you vow to stand beside us as brothers."

"Brothers... Does that word even apply to us?" Finn, in a witches body named Vincent Griffith, speaks up. "After all these centuries of betrayal? And, has loyalty to you ever rewarded? If so, tell me, Niklaus-- where is our sister, Rebekah?" At the mention of Rebekah, Cullen tenses. "She was blindly loyal to you for a thousand years, and now? Nowhere to be found. Where did our sister go? And, how did she escape your vile machinations?"

"You think me vile?" Klaus questions, trying to change the subject. "What, then, do you make of the one who cursed us?"

"She was trying to make you mortal again." Finn snaps, clearing frustrated. "And, you both refused her. It only proves how far you've fallen. But, I expect Rebekah will have a different response to her proposal. See, unlike the two of you, she always did cling to her humanity."

Elijah leans forward, angry. "Rebekah is off-limits to you. You pursue her, and you will suffer."

"Elijah." Cullen mutters, shaking her head at him, letting him know he needed to calm down.

"Do not let him goad you, Elijah." Klaus adds. "Neither he, nor Esther, will find Rebekah unless she wants to be found. And she does not."

"Esther is quite determined." Finn states. "She's been searching for Rebekah since the day she returned. I imagine it's only a matter of time."

Cullen is the first to notice the subtle twitch Elijah has before he lunges forward, grabbing ahold of Finn. Klaus is only able to pull him away after Elijah's fed on him, the blood dripping down his face. Maneuvering Elijah out of the room Klaus pushes him up against a wall in the hallway, Cullen following not too far behind them.