xviii. the hybrid and the heretic

WHEN CULLEN WOKE up the first thing she noticed was the sun, it was shining down on her face making it hard to see anything else

WHEN CULLEN WOKE up the first thing she noticed was the sun, it was shining down on her face making it hard to see anything else. For a moment her thoughts were calm, peaceful, that is until Mikael began speaking. "I see you're awake."

Cullen tried to stand up, or even use her magic, but she was too weak. Looking up, she glared at Mikael. "Did you feed from me?"

"Unfortunately." Mikael responds. "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

Shaking her head, Cullen tries to force her body to heal itself faster, but even with her vampire side she still struggled. It felt like Mikael had almost completely drained her of her blood. "I am going to kill you myself."

"Oh, I'd love to see you try." Mikael growls. "You and Klaus, both foolish idiots, both creatures put on this earth only to damn it. The hybrid and the heretic."

"Why do you hate Klaus so much?" Cullen groans, attempting to pull herself from the floor, it was no use though.

"I didn't always hate him." Mikael begins. "When Klaus was born, I was overjoyed. I thought, this one-- this one has the eyes of a warrior. He will be worthy. But, my hope was short-lived. And, when I found out that he wasn't really my son, my relief was glorious. But, that passed with the knowledge that he was begat of a beast."

"His mother's infidelity was not his fault." Cullen snaps.

"Everything that followed was because of Niklaus' obsession with the wolves." Mikael raises his voice, waving Papa Tunde's blade in the air as he speaks. "He ventured out to watch them turn under the full moon, and he took my youngest son, Henrik. He was but a child, and he was torn apart."

"An accident." Cullen justifies.

"An accident? An accident?" Mikael yells. "He murdered my wife! His own mother! Who sought to cleanse him of his beast-like nature! He betrayed me. He turned my entire family against me! And yet, you defend him?"

Before Cullen can answer the sound of wood breaking echos throughout the empty building, causing Mikael to speed forward, grabbing ahold of her while placing Papa Tunde's blade against her throat. Even in such a position Cullen lets out a breath of relief when she sees it's Klaus.

"You're gonna pay for hurting her." Klaus threatens, noticing the dried blood on Cullen's neck.

Mikael growls, pushing Cullen to the ground before making his way to his son. "Aw, how sweet. The cur whines for its bitch. I'll be sure to drain the rest of her right in front of your eyes, just before you burn." Cullen watches helplessly as the fight between father and son begins, this time with Papa Tunde's blade and the white oak stake. Ignoring the pain flowing through her body she pushes herself off the ground as Klaus is able to get the upper hand, white oak stake pointed at Mikael's heart.

"Not as weak as you remember, am I?" Klaus smirks as he stands over his father. Using his son's gloating as a distraction Mikael picks up the forgotten blade, throwing it towards Cullen forcing Klaus to speed over to her, grabbing it before it hits her.

Klaus and Cullen are only able to cast one glance at each other before Mikael is behind Klaus. The older man plunges the stake into Klaus' chest causing Cullen to scream out as her eyes widen. She watches with tears in her eyes as Klaus' body begins to desiccate.

"Why aren't you burning?" Mikael questions, pushing past Cullen in a fit of anger. "If you were dead, it would burn. Burn!" A noise outside catches Mikael's attention giving Cullen time to run over to Klaus, pulling the stake out of his chest. Pushing herself she places her hands over his chest, muttering a spell to speed up the healing process.

"What do you think you're doing?" Mikael questions, walking back into the building.

"Stay the hell away from us." Cullen mutters, going back to her spell. Before Mikael can move any closer to her someone speeds into the room. Cullen glances back, seeing it's Marcel. A sudden grip on her wrist causes her to turn back around, Klaus now awake.

"Now, enough!" Mikael yells, knocking Marcel to the ground. "This night has been a long parade of fools. I'll enjoy killing every last one of you."

"Yeah." Another familiar voice states. "I wouldn't bet on it." Grabbing ahold of a chain connected to a cider block, Hayley aims for Mikael's head, knocking him to the ground.

"It's over, Mikael." Klaus stands up, bring Cullen with him. "You're outnumbered. Are you going to beg for your miserable life?"

Mikael laughs, a condescending smile on his face. "You think having people makes you strong? It proves how weak you are. Come find me when you don't have fools, women and children fighting your battles." With that Mikael speeds anyway, leaving the group to deal with another pressing issue.

Davina quickly walks out of the building, not wanting to be near Klaus after what happened. Marcel follows her along with Hayley. Left alone Klaus turns to Cullen, a grateful expression on his face. "You pulled the stake out in the nick of time. A moment longer, and I would have been done for."

Cullen shrugs with a small smile on her face, she was still slightly weak but she was starting to feel better. She reached forward grabbing ahold of his hands, squeezing them in hers. "What are baby momma's for?" At her comment Klaus lets out a real laugh, shaking his head.

They are interrupted by Marcel and Hayley entering the abandoned building. "We checked the perimeter, and he's definitely gone." Marcel informs them.

Klaus sighs. "I appreciate your assistance."

Marcel grins. "Well, hey. You die, I die. Just call me selfish."

"Yeah, you die, a lot of people die." Hayley cuts in, glancing between the group. "But Klaus? We have another problem. It's Elijah."