xxxix. methamphetamine country

THE FIRST THING Cullen hears when she wakes up is the cries of her child

THE FIRST THING Cullen hears when she wakes up is the cries of her child. Cracking one eye open she looks around the room, spotting Hope in her crib. "Klaus." Cullen groans. When she receives no response she lightly smacks him on the arm. "Hope's crying."

"I can hear that." Klaus responds, sounding like he could fall back to sleep any minute.

"Get up and get her." Cullen exclaims, burying herself deeper into the blankets surrounding her while she removes Klaus' arm from her waist. She hears Klaus mutter something under his breathe as he pulls himself from bed but Cullen chooses to ignore him.

"How much longer are we going to stay in this smelly motel?" Klaus questions as Hope's cries stop almost as soon as he picks her up.

"I don't know." Cullen mumbles, trying to go back to sleep. "Why don't we decide in the morning?"

"It is the morning, love." Klaus tells her, peaking behind the blinds. Cullen let's out a groan, placing her pillow over her head. They had been up all night looking for a place to stay before they decided something more permanent. "Tell me again why we're on a scenic tour of methamphetamine country, not compelling a jet to some far-off, preferably tropical, destination?"

"Until we're out of Louisiana we need to stay of the radar." Cullen exclaims finally getting out of bed. "For example losing the 1000 dollar jacket would help."

Cullen can hear Klaus scoff as he bounces Hope in his arms, making the child laugh. "Mommy thinks she's so funny doesn't she?"

"I am funny." Cullen snaps, taking Hope from Klaus so he can get changed.

Once there all dressed and packed they walk downstairs, stopping at the front desk to check out. While Klaus pays the man at the counter, Cullen insisted on paying instead of compelling, Cullen walks into the gift shop, looking around. When she spots a hat that says 'Mother Trucker' on it she can't help but buy it.

When Klaus sees her walking his way with the hat he shakes his head. "Absolutely not."

Cullen laughs, placing the hat on Klaus's head. "You need to blend in."

"You gotta clear out folks." The man at the counter suddenly speaks up causing Cullen and Klaus to turn towards him. "There's a memorial service happening here today and your kind aren't welcome. A lot of my people have been going missing lately, and I'm not to naive to think your kind aren't behind it."

"Well, perhaps you failed to notice the hat?" Klaus questions sarcastically.

The man at the counter only stares at the couple, seeing no humor in Klaus joke. "I guess we'll go." Cullen speaks up, adjusting Hope on her hip.

The three of them walk out, packing away their stuff before Cullen stops, looking towards the sign for the memorial. It was for a young man, he looked to be around Cullen's age. When she turned back to Klaus her eyebrows furrowed at the odd expression on his face. "What is it?"