26 ♢ The Legend

Oliver tapped his foot nervously and poured himself another glass of water as he waited nervously for her to show up

  Oliver tapped his foot nervously and poured himself another glass of water as he waited nervously for her to show up. The last time he had spoken to her was when he cursed her out at his engagement party. It seemed like years ago when it reality it had only been a bit over eight months.

He had thought about this moment a lot, even in the past. He had thought about the two of them sitting together and hashing out their differences. However, in the past, he had naïvely and stupidly believed he would be the one that would be doing the forgiving. Now, as he rubbed his hands anxiously, he wanted nothing more than her forgiveness.

It was funny how after all those years and all the horrid things he had said about her, he had never actually deleted her number from his phone. When he texted her the previous night, asking to meet for lunch, she had replied with a simple and slightly ominous 'okay' followed by details of the where and when. Even though they were all now adults, she seemed to still like to be in control just like when they were in high school, choosing where they would meet and at what time but Oliver really didn't mind.

He didn't know why he had looked at the door that specific moment. She used to say he knew her better than he knew himself. It was almost like he could sense her presence before seeing her. His eyes landed on her just as she was coming through the doors of the café she had chosen. Her arms were filled with Chanel shopping bags and Oliver couldn't stop himself from laughing.

Madeline Lockhart met his eyes and slowly smiled as well, walking towards him. Her very large baby bump had become visible as she came closer to him, barely concealed under her bright, floral dress.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the man. The myth. The legend. Oliver Scott."

Oliver rolled his eyes jokingly before walking over to her and helping her up the steps to their table. He took her bags from her, putting them down under the table and held her hand as she planted herself on the cosy, cushioned chair.

  An awkward silence settled between them.

  "So..."

  "So..."

  "There's a lot of things I have to say today," Oliver began. "First of all, congratulations are in order."

  "For?"

  "The baby?"

  "Oh!" Madeline laughed. "Of course, obviously. Sorry, I've got pregnancy brains. Plus most people congratulated me months ago so it's been a while since I've heard a congratulations!"

"You... you're glowing."

She grinned. "Side effect of getting knocked up. Not that I'm complaining. I only get to look like this for another month. I'm due at the end of May."

  "I only recently found out. I would have congratulated you sooner but..."

"It's okay. We should have told you."

Best Fiends ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara