21 ♢ the power of love

"Oliver? What are you doing here?"

Oliver's face crumpled up as he looked at the man in front of him. He couldn't bear being alone after what happened on the roof. His thoughts were too loud and he needed someone to distract him. It was late. Nearly two am. But he really couldn't be alone so he came to the only place he believed he would face the least amount of judgement.

"I-I'm a fuck-up..." Oliver tearfully admitted, to the man's surprise. "I'm a narcissist who takes everything for granted. I'm spoilt and selfish and ego-driven. I-I'm an alcoholic. I'm a drug addict. I'm a gas-lighter. I'm a bad person. And I'm sorry. I'm so fucking sorry." Oliver looked down, his tears hitting the 'Welcome' doormat.

His father quickly embraced him in a tight hug. "Don't say that..."

  Oliver sobbed into his chest. "It's true..."

  Ed's arms tightened around him. "Come in. Let's go sit down."

He followed his dad into the living room. It had been months since he stepped foot into his dad's house but nothing had really change. He silently planted himself on the edge of the sofa as his father sat down beside him.

Oliver rubbed his nose with the back of his sleeve before attempting to straighten up and clear his throat. "I..uh.. I'm sorry about Alexander's birthday. And for wrecking the car. I'll pay for-"

  "Oliver.."

  Oliver mentally prepared for a loud lecture from his father. Instead his father hugged him again, much to his surprise.

"I'm so glad you're safe. I was looking everywhere for you. I have been going out of my mind, imagining the worst scenarios. Are you okay?"

  Oliver let out a shaky breath. "No..."

  "Do you want an aspirin or something? I think-"

  "No, no. I... I'm just really damn sad, Dad."

  Ed slowly nodded as if he understood just how forlorn his son was. But he couldn't, could he?

  "Tell me why."

  "I... I lost everything. And it's no one's fault but mine... I ruined everything."

  "I'm sure you have made mistakes but you can try and fix them-"

  "Everything I have done is irreversible. I crossed the point of no return."

  "Of course your actions are irreversible. But that doesn't mean you can't fix what you did."

  Oliver shook his head in resignation. "It's too late. I'm nothing, Dad..."