7 ♢ Lotus

"Oliver, this graph is not legible!"

  Oliver rolled his eyes at his father. "My responsibilities in the firm have really downgraded. Two months ago I was managing meetings and creating agendas. Now you're making me create graphs?"

  Ed sighed in disappointment. "I have lost faith in you. I know your break up with Nora was tough but your work has dropped in standard. Showing up late to meetings, sometimes not even showing up at all- it's like you think you can do whatever you want."

  "That's not true-"

  "Do you need more time off, Oliver? Is that it?"

"Dad, it was just a graph! You're overreacting!"

His father clenched his jaw and pointed his finger at him. "It wasn't just a graph. It was a test and you failed. You need to get it together. I'm ready to give you as many responsibilities as you want but I don't think you're ready, son."

Oliver scoffed. His father was really getting on his nerve. He just barged into his office and began to berate him. Did he really think Oliver wasn't ready? That was bullshit!! He could probably become CEO by the end of the week. Oliver was good at his job. So what if he was late to a few meetings or messed up a few graphs?

"I am ready-"

"You were ready. I don't know what happened but lately your work has really downgraded."

"Dad-"

"This isn't a suspension. We'll tell everyone you took a vacation. Take a week or two. Clear your mind. Stay off the drugs and alcohol. Oliver, you're a genius when you're sober!"

  Oliver lips flattened in disapproval at what his father was saying. It was all nonsense. It was just another excuse for his father to pick on him. But a paid vacation did sound tempting...

  "What about the deal with Nour Pharmaceuticals? It's huge! You need me here."

"Right now, all you need to worry about is your health."

Ed walked up to the tall window overlooking Manhattan's sky scrapers. He watched the New York skyline in silence for a minute as Oliver sat awkwardly at his desk, not knowing what to say or do.

Eventually one of the secretaries scurried in urgently, interrupting the silence. "Mr Scott, you have a phone call," He paused, after sensing the tension in the room. "I can tell them you're busy but it is quite important..."