13

"C'mon, I wanna show you something"
-
-
-

Transfiguration passes by pretty quickly, and before I know it, I'm making my way to potions class where I just know Hermione's going to bombard me with questions.

When I enter the door, I see her sitting at the front of the room with her books neatly stacked beside her. She has a book spread open on her desk, which I'm assuming is either for "light" reading, or studying.

I sit at the desk beside her quietly, not wanting to disturb her, but as soon as I take my seat, she immediately turns to me.

"Bella, you must tell me everything. I don't understand how you claim to be my best friend, but then you lie to me about what's going on with you and Cedric! I mean, how are you going to go and get a boyfriend and not even tell me?" She rambles in an exasperated tone.

"Woah, slow down Hermione. First of all, we aren't dating, I swear. Remember, we only just met him a week ago,"

She rolls her eyes.

"Obviously, I was there. But that doesn't prove anything! You can get a boyfriend in a week or two, it happens all the time," she insists.

I roll my eyes.

"I mean, we've had a few moments throughout the past week, but nothing major," I shrug.

"Oh, for goodness sake. Don't act like I'm stupid, Bella. Clearly, you're leaving out some important details, because from the way you two were sitting in first period, it's obvious there's more going on,"

"There's nothing going-"

"Do you not trust me, is that it? Or are you worried I'll judge? Bella, there are way worse people to fancy that Amos Diggory's son. I'm not going to scold you like I did when I assumed you and Malfoy were dating," she cuts me off.

I remember her somehow getting into the Slytherin common room last year, and barging into my bedroom to yell at me because she heard a rumor that Malfoy and I were in a relationship.

I then had to explain to her several times that we're just best friends, and there are no feelings between us.

"Not that I approve of what you have going on with Malfoy, but I'm just glad you don't actually fancy him," she finishes.

"Okay, fine. So Ced and I may or may not have had a moment in the hallway before class, but that's literally it," I concede.

"Oh, come on, you have to give me more than that," she persists.

I roll my eyes.

"Basically, what happened is I kind of just blurted out how I felt for him, and we may or may not have almost kissed, but then Snape came by and interrupted," I shrug.

"I knew there was something going on between you two!" She exclaims.

"Shhh," I look around and see that several students have looked over at us.

"Sorry" she mouths.

-

The class passes by slowly, and I find myself thinking over my conversation with Cedric.

After I told him how I felt, I remember he said something like "Don't put words into my mouth because you're wrong," most likely referring to the part where I accused him of toying with me and I said he doesn't like me the way I like him.

So does that mean he actually does likes me in that way? I mean, he's done a lot to show it, so it should be obvious, but I can't shake the feeling that, like all the other guys in my life, he's just interested right now, but soon he's going to replace me.

I mean, even my father did that for crying out loud.

I know it's not fair to assume Cedric is the same as other guys, but I need to prepare myself in advance. I don't want to trust he's different and allow myself to open up to him if he's just going to leave me.

I don't want to distance myself from him, but how else am I supposed to protect myself?

But then I remember our conversation in the Great Hall.

He said he values loyalty and trust over everything else, and that he would never betray someone he cares about. So if he truly cares for me, then I have his word that he won't betray me.

I think I just need to talk to him. I need to get clear on this once and for all, and find out whether he truly is interested like he says, and whether or not he truly does care for me.

Snape dismisses class, so I grab my things and head to study hall.

I reach the entrance to the library and see kids spread out at different tables, studying. In a far corner, I see Cedric sitting at a table with a book spread open. He runs his fingers through his hair as he reads intently.

I make my way over to him quietly, not wanting to disturb.

He senses my approach, and his head snaps up. Immediately, a gigantic smile spreads across his face.

When I get close enough, he takes my hand and sits me down next to him.

"Did you miss me?" I smile.

He presses his lips to the top of my head. An electric current spikes between us, and it takes all the self-control I have to not bring his face down to my level and kiss him.

"Not at all," he whispers sarcastically as he wraps his arms around me.

I don't want to ruin the moment, but I need to get clarity on how he truly feels for me before I allow myself to fully trust him.

"Cedric, I need to talk to you about something,"

He turns me towards him, and looks me in the eye.

"What about, love?" He asks in a concerned voice.

His facial expression is a mixture of worry and confusion.

This is going to be hard.

"I need to be clear on your intentions and how you truly feel about me. I know earlier you told me not to put words in your mouth, so this is me not doing that," I explain.

"I can't help but worry that you're just playing with me. It's not that I don't trust you, I just don't want to get my hopes up if this truly is just one sided," I continue.

"Isabella Maxwell, I am not playing games with you. Every word I have said to you has been true. Please, don't worry about me running off because I promise you, you are way too interesting for me to leave," he says in the most sincere voice I've heard him use, and I can't help but believe him.

I bury my head in his chest. He holds me and strokes my hair silently for several minutes until I back away to look into his eyes.

"Thank you," I whisper.

"For what?" He asks.

"For making me trust you, and for always treating me perfectly,"

"That's just the bare minimum, love. You don't have to thank me," he smiles.

After a moment, he takes my hand and starts to pull me towards the exit.

"C'mon, I wanna show you something,"