54

"Since when do you get drunk off of one drink Ced?"

-
-
-

I finish throwing on my Quidditch Robes, adrenaline pumping through my veins at the match ahead.

I was already filled with a sense of nervousness and adrenaline from Veronica's invitation earlier, but the game just adds onto it.

The games earlier in the year didn't matter much, as they were all just to prepare us for the important games during the new year starting in January. These are the games that actually count towards the house cup, and today is the first one which is Slytherin vs Ravenclaw.

I give the team our usual pep talk, then we all head over to our lockers to grab our equipment.

I'm about to get in my position in line, when I get a glimpse of a player sitting on the bench against the wall around the corner.

I jog my way over to them, not knowing who it is until I'm up close.

"Pucey, what're you doing?" I ask, appalled as the game is just minutes away.

He looks up from his hands, and I can see there's panic and anxiety written all over his face.

"I'm not cut out for the Bella. I wasn't prepared to be a starter, especially for the house cup. I'm gonna mess it up for everyone!" He exclaims frustratedly.

Throughout all the years I've known him, and even the time during our "relationship", I've never seen him this vulnerable before.

He always puts on this tough front, acting confident and sure of himself, so this comes as a surprise.

"Adrian, you'll do fine. I wouldn't have made you a starter if I didn't believe in you." I sigh, taking a seat next to him.

"Why didn't you put Marcus Flint in for me instead? We both know he's much more cut out for it. I've been so rusty lately, especially since winter break got out." He grumbles.

"We've all been rusty. Besides, just between us, you've been playing much better than Marcus at practice these past few weeks. Just take a deep breath, and trust in yourself. You're being way harder on yourself than you need to be." I assure him.

He looks at me and nods after a moment, standing up from the bench and helping me up as well.

We head over to our spots in line, waiting for Madam Hooches whistle to start the game.

After a few minutes, we hear the familiar blow, and we're off.

-

Malfoy ended up catching the snitch after about an hour, so the game wasn't too long.

We're all in the locker room getting changed with the familiar "whoops" and whistles from everyone around.

I smile to myself, relieved we've won our first house cup game, and relaxed at the fact that we don't have another one for two weeks.

Once I'm changed, I make my way over to Adrian who's putting away his things in his locker.

"Nice game Pucey. Told you you'd do well." I smile, patting him on the back.

He turns to me and flashes me a grin, but it wavers after a moment.

"Hey, I'm sorry for how I was acting at the Masquerade Ball and for the entirety of our "relationship" last year. I was a complete ass, and I didn't quite realize it until I started dating Katie Belle back in November." He sighs, scratching the back of his neck.