🍵1. Peppermint

"Oh god it's freezing out here," Yūki groans, her entire being bundled up in warm clothes.

Beside her, Ryōko is in the same state, helping her feed the chickens. I use a stick to break the ice for their water, all feeling in my nose quickly subsiding.

The chickens hide in their cozy house, watching us freeze like idiots.

Shun joins in the party, and he and I head to the food storage, while the others start towards the kōji lab. I set my shoulder bag down, getting to work with my mushroom corner.

Across the room, Shun has moved his firewood workshop inside, cutting up pieces for smoking foods.

Electricity dances around the fungiculture enclosures, the moisture clouding up the several glass structures as a mini thunderstorm ensues.

"Here's some rotten bits for your spawn," Shun sets a bag of rotting wood next to my station. He even cut them into chips for me, I can't help but notice.

"Thanks, Shun! You're the best," I set them in my spawn compost crate. "I'll make some cremini soup when these lil guys mature."

"Sounds good," he turns as the door opens.

"Hey you two, I brought some tea," Megumi smiles, bringing over a thermos and cups. "I figured everyone could use something to warm up. You're my last visit, so drink as much as you'd like."

The smell of peppermint soon fills the room, as Megumi pours three cups. The three of us sit on the floor, Megumi stealing glances at me as we sip away.

Warm peppermint and almond/soy milk dance on my tongue, made even sweeter as a smile plays on her lips.

Shun clears his throat. "I should get back to cutting wood," he sets down his cup. "Thank you."

Megumi's face turns a cute red, and she mumbles something. I finish my tea, feeling warm and refreshed. "Thank you, Megumi."

She nods, standing up. "I should get going, I need to water the indoor plants with Isshiki."

"Okay, I'll talk to you later," I hold her hand, kissing her knuckles. She flushes, and I can almost feel how warm her face is. Megumi plants a chaste kiss to my cheek.

"Have fun with your mushrooms," she short circuits, and I watch her leave with a smile on my face and peppermint on my tongue. She's so cute.

My sweet girlfriend, Megumi.