C-h-a-p-t-e-r T-w-e-n-t-y-F-i-v-e

"Welcome back," Elwin said, placing a cool compress across Sophie's forehead.

She pulled herself into a sitting position, wincing as pain whipped through every muscle.

"Easy there. You've been out for nearly ten minutes." Elwin flashed an orb of yellow light around her and put on his glasses.

"Wait-ten minutes? What happened?"

"No idea. I've never heard of anyone getting seriously injured while splotching. Leave it to you." He chuckled.

Sophie's memories flooded back. Splotching. Flying backward. Fitz. His crumpled body on the ground. "Uh, where's Fitz? Is her okay?" 

"He's fine." Elwin pointed to her left, where Fitz lay in a bed with his eyes closed.

"He doesn't look okay. He's kinda unconscious."

"He'll come around any minute." Elwin placed a cold compress across Fitz's forehead and his vivid eyes sprang open.

"WhermIwhahapped?" He mumbled, closing his eyes.

Elwin chuckled. "Must've been some splotching match."

"He'll be okay, right? I mean, I'm not going to get in trouble, am I?"

"Of course, he'll be fine. If he weren't, Bullhorn would be freaking out right now-or worse: laying next to him." Sophie turned to where Elwin was pointing. A small slinky grey creature curled up in a corner. "You're familiar familiar with Banshees?"

"Sort of."

"Well they can sense when someone is in mortal danger. Fitz hit his head a little harder than you, so he needs another minute for the medicine to set in."

"Am I going to get in trouble?"

"I don't see why you should, well, what did you do during the match?"

"I don't know."

Fitz began to stir, and he looked more lucid when he opened his eyes.

"How are you feeling?" Elwin asked him.

"I mean, I've been better, but I'll live." Fitz winced as he sat up. "Are you okay?" He asked Sophie, turning to her while rubbing the back of his head. 

Sophie nodded. The awkwardness was suffocating. The two hadn't talked to each other sense the Children's Program, and even then they really weren't the best of friends. And Sophie wasn't entirely sure if she was going to be punished.

Elwin must have noticed the tension. He handed them each a blue vial. "That will ease the pain. You'll be stiff tomorrow, but I can't help that."

The glands behind her tongue zinged as Sophie swallowed the sour medicine, but the ache in her back vanished. 

"Do either of you remember what happened?" Elwin asked as he collected the empty bottles.

"Not really," Fitz admitted. "I remember pushing toward the splotcher, but then it was like it rebounded or something."

"Rebounded?"

"Yeah, I felt my force hit hers and bounce back at me."

"That's what I felt too," Sophie agreed.

Elwin's eyes widened. Then he shook his head . "Nah. Couldn't be."

"Couldn't be what?" Sophie asked. A surmounting panic was telling her it really was her fault. And since she hurt a Vacker, who knows what the consequences would be.

"Well, that sounds like what happens when someone does a brain push-using mental energy for telekinesis instead of core energy. But a brain push is a highly specialized skill only the Ancients can pull off."